Chapter Twenty Five

emma's pov

jj and i sat on the sand and waited for kiara and pope to finish up. i noticed the two of them flirting quite a bit lately but i didn't mention anything. they didn't seem like they wanted it to be public or whatever. i laid back on the sand with whatever sun was left hitting my skin. i could feel jj's stare from my side but continued to look up and the sky. this friend thing would be good for us. it's better than having an enemy, but not as complicated as a relationship. about 20 minutes later kiara and pope came running out of the water holding hands. i still didn't say anything, and i'm surprised jj didn't make some stupid comment about it either. "enjoy the water?" i asked. "very much so," kiara said looking up at pope. cute. "good to hear. i'm gonna head home. i'll see you guys later." "i better be getting home too," jj chimed in and followed after me. "i knew you could surf, but where'd you learn that little trick?" jj asked. "i used to take gymnastics when was i was little," i said. "well that explains it," he chuckled. "guess so. well this is my stop," i said. "and this is mine." "goodnight jj." "goodnight."

i walked in my house and my dad was just watching TV. "hey sweetie how's is going?" he asked. "pretty good how was work?" i asked. "same old." i smelled like salt water and desperately needed to take a shower. i played all my favourite songs and as usual, sang a little. when i was done i wrapped myself in a towel and entered my room to get dressed. i opened up my dresser and heard a knock on my window. jj? i opened the window but did not expect what i saw. it was in fact jj, but jj crying. no, sobbing actually. "jj? what's going on? are you alright i asked?" the boy just fell apart in my arms. "jj?" but once more i got no response. the boy just laid motionless against my body. when he finally started to calm down i heard muffled words. "i-i'm sorry. my dad, he hit me again. he found the gold, and he beat me. i'm so sorry for everything. i feel really bad and i just feel like my whole life is falling apart right now. i just couldn't put up an act anymore. i'm sorry," i heard. "jj let's go outside." i got out and he did too. "what do you mean your father beat you?" and sure enough when i got a good look at his face, it was pretty messed up. his lip was busted, his eye was starting to form a large bruise and he had a nasty cut on his cheekbone. "holy shit jj this is bad. really bad. what're you gonna do?" "i don't know. i might crash at john b's, i've got nowhere else to go. i know i shouldn't have come here but i needed to get that off my chest." "no it's okay. remember when i told you i'm always here to support you, well i wasn't lying," i said pulling him into another hug. "come with me." "what?" "to john b's," he said. "i don't think that's a good idea jj-" "nothing will happen, i just need some company. please?" he said and i knew he needed me. "alright fine, but just the one night. let me get dressed, i'll be out in a minute."