Chapter Four

jj's pov

"you really don't remember me do you?" those words were on repeat in my head as i walked home. where the hell have i seen this girl before? just as the thought ran through my head, i saw emma enter the house right beside mine. shit. emma was the girl next door. i vaguely remember her knocking at my door last night and asking us to be quiet, but i completely put it aside. i was drunk, and a little high at the time. i should probably explain that to her. right before she stepped in her house, i called out her name. "emma wait!" she sprung around "what would you like jj?" she spat. "i remember you. well i'll admit i didn't before, but i do now. you came to my door last night, and i was pretty rude. i should tell you, i was drunk, and also kind of high. i didn't mean what i said. i hope we can be friends," i ranted. "yeah it looks like we'll be spending quite a bit of time together. it's fine i understand. i've had some bad experiences with that myself." she giggled. "you drink?" i asked with a small smile. "sometimes. smoke too," she said. "wow you may not be so bad party pooper," i joked. "woah there buddy boy, your on thin ice," she smiled. and with that, we parted ways.

i made my way to my room looking out for my dad. he wasn't home. i tried to fall asleep but i couldn't. emma. that name ran through my head. she was petite, but strong, with long curly brown hair and big green eyes. i only just met the girl, but i can tell she's different from any girl i've ever met here. i went downstairs to grab a beer to help me fall asleep and noticed that the house was still a mess from the party. i tried to clean up as much as possible without making too much noise. when i finally finished picking up people's trash i noticed from the kitchen window i could see emma's room. her light was still on and i could vaguely see that she was listening to music and writing something down. i watched for a bit until i realized how creepy i was being, and finally fell asleep.

i woke up the next morning with a small headache and decided to head down to the beach. it was warm, but windy which meant it was the perfect day to surf. i put on some clothes and made my way downstairs to grab my board when i saw my dad sitting on the couch by the door. he was rarely ever home, and when he was i tried my best to avoid him. he seemed pretty pissed but i just ignored it. i reached for my board leaning against the wall and headed to the door. as i did so, my foot came in contact with something and i fell face first. i stood up and noticed that it was my fathers foot i had tripped on. he was standing now, and before i knew it he was grabbing my neck. "what the hell were you thinking throwing a party here boy?" my dad asked. "i- uh" was all i could get out of my mouth before he pinned me to the wall. i kicked him backwards, making him fall and ran out the door as fast as i could, forgetting my board at home.