Chapter 4

Rosen and Nevaeh stepped outside to talk for a moment. Nevaeh was confused as to why he would only ask for her to come outside and not the boys. 

"I was in AP English before I had your class, that is why I was never in the same English class as the rest of you guys, " Rosen stated, looking sheepishly at the ground. " I failed the AP English so I was moved into your English class and I am not doing too well in that class either. Mrs. Parlor recommended you to be my tutor. So, Nevaeh, will you please be my tutor?" Rosen finally looked  Nevaeh in the eyes with a pleading look on his face.  

She wanted to be mad at him but she couldn't. Nevaeh answered, "yes, I will be your tutor. Also," she wanted to apologize before they head back in, "I am sorry for assuming you were what the rumors made you out to be. It was not right and I should not have assumed anything before listening to your side of the story. Please forgive me?" Nevaeh looked at Rosen hoping he would forgive her. 

He looked at her confused then with unbelief. "Are you kidding me?" He asked; she thought she did something wrong?  Rosen laughed and said, "It is my fault. I should not have blown up on you like that. It is not going to get me anywhere if I keep yelling at people." Rosen ended with a grin on his face. 

How cute, Nevaeh thought to herself, mimicking his smile and staring at him. She realized what she said and what she was doing. Nevaeh looked away quickly while shaking her head to herself.

~~~

The next day, Tuesday, was when Nevaeh decided to start tutoring Rosen. At first, things were a little awkward. Rosen was always rubbing the nape of his neck while Nevaeh was always looking somewhere else and blushing profusely.

After about twenty minutes of complete silence, Nevaeh spoke up, "Where should we start? What is the main thing you are having trouble with?" She was looking into his dark brown eyes while he looked into her light greenish-grey eyes. "I have a lot of trouble understanding the meaning of everything. Like, I know what nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, etc, etc are, but I don't understand when something like what an antecedent does or a clause or collective nouns' purpose." He replied sheepishly, looking away from her gaze.

For the next few hours, things were really slow for them. Nevaeh knew Rosen was smart but for some reason, he was blocking this information out of his mind. It is like he knows this stuff but is trying not to; like he is trying to forget it." She mumbled to herself as she walked back to the dorm by herself. They decided to stop a little while ago and she went back to the room to study. But Rosen went out on a "date" with this girl named Becky.

He did not come home until a little after two in the morning, which woke Nevaeh up. She never got much sleep anyway, so she did not mind.

She walked into the living room as Rosen came in, they quickly glanced at each other before going to sit on the couch. Rosen sighed as he sat down, "So why are you up?" He asked Nevaeh. She looked at him with a hard glare and replied harshly, "Why do you care?" then walked off furiously to her room. 

~~~

The next day, everyone got ready and went to class together since they all head the same English class. Things were still really tense between Rosen and Nevaeh. Throughout the class, Nevaeh could feel Rosen's eyes on her. At one point, she turned around and gave him a harsh stare that made him turn back towards the teacher. For the last forty minutes of class, they both listened to the teacher but none of the information was being processed in their brains.

When class was over, Nevaeh went to Mrs. Parlor to see if there was someone else who could tutor Rosen.

"Please, there has to be someone else who can do it!" Nevaeh cried. "I am sorry, but you're my best student. It has to be you." Mrs. Parlor replied.

Nevaeh sighed and turned around. But when she turned around, Rosen was standing there with sad eyes. He looks like he is about to cry, Nevaeh thought, But why, it should not matter who tutors him, as long as he passes the class. Right?