prologue - rainy days

[prologue - rainy days]

Rain pounded endlessly on the dark grey concrete. A giant, raging thunderstorm crashed effortlessly through the city of Tokyo, Japan for days on end. It seemed like a signal, a warning for all people to stay inside their homes, to rot in the comfort of something familiar and never come out.

Though, one man, Thomas Jones, seemed to not have gotten the memo. He ran, swiftly yet ungracefully, through the harsh, ice cold droplets that padded on his thin suit jacket like icy needles. A single black umbrella was held in his right hand, the sleek plastic cover glistening as the water rolled off of it. In his left hand, however, was a dark brown leather suitcase that constantly almost slipped from in between the stout man's grubby fingers.

His loud footsteps could hardly be heard over the sounds of crashing thunder as he dashed to hide behind a brick walled alleyway, so far blocking the pounding wind and rain. The man frantically gasped for air, the mucus in the back of his throat welling up in blobs that were coughed up and washed away in the rain. Thomas put down the suitcase by his shining leather shoes and folded up his soaked umbrella which he leaned against the bricks rather harshly in annoyance.

"Thomas Samuel Jones."

Now, the named man didn't know if it was the way his name was said, how it boomed even above the crackling storm and pierced into his mind, or the certain graceful yet deadly accent in which it was spoken, but an uncontrollable rain of shivers ran across his skin and down his spine. His dull brown eyes flicked around, desperate to see who in which his name was spoken from, but at last he couldn't see anything with the frayed speckles of rain water spiking into his eyes.

At the last second, he saw a shift in the light, a shining red glow amongst the darkness. He flicked his gaze downwards ever so slightly and was surprised to see a short, skinny teenager dressed in black and red, with a hooded cloak around their form. The man stared, confused. He couldn't tell if it were a boy or a girl just by their appearance. He hoped they were a girl, and guessed they were, with the long stark black hair that fell across their shoulders and down to their stomach, dark even against the blackness of the night.

Thomas' mind switched to what he actually was here for; business. Though, the man was still confused and utterly shocked, he didn't know they were desperate enough to hire children to do their dirty work - and a girl at that.

"A-Ah, you must be Wolf's Bane - r-right?" The man cursed himself bitterly for stuttering, but he couldn't help himself as the most vicious frown appeared on the teenager's pale perfectly sculpted face, at least the bottom half of it anyway. He was intimidated just by the presence of this person.

"Hand it over. Now."

Suddenly he, as if his hands had minds of their own, grabbed the suitcase under him and held it out to the teenager. Thomas was flabbergasted, his lips twitching in annoyance and fear. A slender, black gloved left hand reached for the suitcase, easily wrapping their fingers around the handle and resting it by their master's side. A small twitch of the teenager's lips turned into a small grin, but quickly changed into a straight line of boredom.