chapter 5 - crimson snowflakes

[chapter 5 - crimson snowflakes]

They were investigating every inch, every dusty or clean surface inside the house. On professional feet, agents ran around like mice, quiet and curious, gloved fingers turning over every cup, bowl, or spoon, tipping chairs and tables for a clue. Takeshi watched it all from his secluded view on top of a roof, hidden behind short metal bars and eyes glowing like a curious black cat, watching its prey dance.

Beneath him, inside the house in which he perched upon, were voices. One was frantic, panicked, and spat out information like she'd die if she held it inside her lungs for too long. The other tried best to be patience, but the scent of annoyance and impatience rolled off her shoulders and caressed Takeshi's nose even from the roof. Their conversation was intriguing, like the clash of fire and water and the sparks of an ember against ice.

The eye-patched man was watching over every thing, his eye skimming over the agents and police officers from his position on Jones' front porch. He came with an entire van stacked full of high geared agents, from dark bulletproof vests to various guns and knives strapped to their waists and across their chests. They were everywhere; scanning around the house with flashlights shining into the thorned bushes, looking on top of the roofs, only to see nothing but dark shadows and creeping vines, and securing tight perimeters around the neighborhood.

The man also arrived with a certain woman. From the few glances Takeshi got of her before to went inside the neighbor's house for interrogation, he could tell she was dangerous, not quite human. She held herself confidently, back straight and legs flexed, with short curling fire red hair caressing her cheeks and chin, a few strands delicately caught in her long eye lashes. Dark eyes scanned everything around her in only a few seconds, catching the way the grass swayed in the wind, the dew catching at their ends dripping in small puddles against the moist soil. Like a cat she walked, like a silent dance her feet placed carefully even on the concrete driveway up to the house. Her matte black bodysuit stuck to her form, sliding over slender coiled muscles like water over river stones, and the gun in its hoister not catching on the various knives along her belt. 

She was an apex predator to the prey of this planet.

Takeshi was dangerously curious, intrigued, as he listened to the agent's conversation with the witness below him, his sharp ears catching the crisp words easily like snowflakes in the wind. 

"Ma'am, I'm going to need you to calm yourself and tell me exactly what you saw. What did this person look like exactly?" A crisp voice, sharp in the silent house said sternly, the crinkle of paper and click of a pen indicating the notepad in her finger's grasp.

"I-I'm not sure!" Another said, the witness, the frightened blonde's voice shaking and unstable, a complete contrast to the other woman's. "Big, big glowing eyes. Red - or maybe orange? I couldn't tell in the reflection! He, or maybe she? I couldn't tell - had long hair, black I think, or brown or maybe even neon pink, it was so dark I couldn't see it clearly, really long too, almost touching the floor when they stood up! They, well, they reminded me of a vampire."

Oh, shit.

"Alright," the agent said between the slashes and scratches of a ballpoint pen upon paper, somehow catching the more important information from the cobwebs of panic escaping the woman's face.  "Did you also happen to see exactly how they did what they did? Anything at all; and I know it was dark, but try your best."