chapter 7 - silver fire

[chapter 7 - silver fire]

Takeshi didn't; taste the sweetness of fear in the air when Romanoff looked at him. Rather, he felt the determination that hung across her pretty face in the back of his throat, burning like the hottest flame and snarling like a rabid wolf.

This made him curious, intrigued, but it also made him venerable. He didn't expect the human to instantly slam a foot into the side of his face as soon as he landed, his disoriented footing causing him to slip on his ass and over the side of the porch railing. 

Choked hisses erupted from his throat like a feral cat, him rolling easily over himself as soon as he landed onto the uncut grass lawn, fingers sinking into the moist dew covered soil as he lunged back at Romanoff. Though instead of reaching her, he kicked roughly off of the wooden floor of the porch, somehow not breaking through its rickety planks, and leapt up to the roof. His fingers roughly gripped around the moist, molded edges and easily heaved himself up. 

Takeshi could hear the stubborn shouts of the hidden agents placed around the house, some even on the roof that he swiftly avoided with the grace of a shadow. They chased quickly after him, leaping, rather ungracefully, across the roofs when he did and running through the gardens when he only had to take a single step to cover their length. Takeshi outran the human agents easily, him without the need to rest or even breathe as he dashed through alleyways and houses.

It was deadly quiet in the breaking dawn, gold and royal purple seeping lazily into the edges of the horizon like honey mixing unwilling into ink, spreading like rainbow oil into the rain puddle of the sky. The first sounds of mourning doves sang like a lost melody in the crisp wintery air, breaking the silent chirps of crickets and skittering of a rat's skillful toes beneath the roads. The crowryki's footfalls did nothing to interrupt the morning song as he skidding to a graceful stop, hair flowing in gentle midnight waves in front of his diaphanous face.

He was like a haunting phantom, skin almost a milky translucent in the thin line of sunlight piercing the sky. With ears ringing with the sounds of distant car honks, Takeshi continued on, a slower walking pace. In the back of his mind, speaking in a soothing voice, he wondered if the tigress agent would be of any nuisance in his future. Most likely not. Even if she were, he would just simply kill her. She was nothing more than a pebble in the middle of a fast moving stream, breaking the smooth rhythm of the crystalline water; all he would have to do is take her out to continue the continuous flow of his boring existence.

Takeshi passed a half asleep man already up and walking his dog, a gentle grayish tan pit bull with amber brown eyes that matched the leather collar and lease around her neck, with a half mug of coffee in his free hand that sloshed and swished with the man's unsteady steps. The crowryki absentmindedly inched to the farthest side of the sidewalk, black eyes looking uneasily at the dog's slightly peeling back lips, teeth glistening in his direction. Takeshi scoffed, nearly holding himself back from growling right back at the dog, but he felt like that would be very unpopular with the dumbfounded owner who didn't even notice his companion's interaction with the stranger.

Takeshi didn't necessarily like dogs, he was more of a cat person, if that meant anything to anyone. Cats didn't put their faces in your business, or demand attention when all you wanted was to be alone with your thoughts. They didn't ask to be played with, only waiting patiently and willing doing it when they heard the jingling of the bells of their favorite toy being flung through the air. Cats were naturally intelligent, they know to stay away from an aggressive person after the first strike across their lithe body, unlike some dogs who would immediately forget about it and demand affection moments later.