When art becomes art

I didn't see much of Harry throughout the rest of the weekend, nor did I see much of him over the weeks that followed. It was becoming somewhat of a routine to see him around the building or behind my door, but oddly enough, it was as if he had vanished into thin air. I had been seeing a lot of Darien though, always neatly dressed and smelling heavenly. I say this because every time she would see me outside, she'd catch me by surprise by throwing her arms around me in an unexpected embrace.

I went out with her and a couple of her friends twice through the week, had dinner at a restaurant that was way out of my budget and was forced into going to drinks at a nearby hotel. Soon, I got accustomed to the New York life on their accord, and I was starting to let loose a bit more than I normally would. I found myself always being glared at by Darien's friend Nes, who she disregarded by not really liking outsiders, excusing her behavior by saying she was used to her close group of friends and wasn't exactly looking for another member.

But I wasn't there for her, I was there because Darien wanted me to be, so naturally I didn't give a fuck if Nes liked me or not.

I soon found out that having boys in the mix was a really good idea. As raunchy and crude as Colson's demeanor was, he was the one who made everyone feel comfortable by his jokes while Alec was the one who took care of us most of the time. He was fairly quiet, but once some drunk guy came up to us girls and I swear Alec scared him away with just a look.
I wondered what Harry's part in the group was, but he hasn't been here a lot for me to actually know, although I assume he'd be the quiet one.

Quiet with a mind running wild with thoughts.

"Are you coming back for the holidays?" My mother queried, her voice sounded tired over the phone as it was almost ten.

"More than likely," I say, going over my toes with the usual white nail polish color I always use. "What about Reese? Is she coming home as well?" Reese was my older sister who was currently studying college overseas, she gets to visit cool places for each semester, just last year she got to call Rome her temporary home, all the while I had to deal with my last year of Mathematics.

"It's hard to tell with her," my mother says. "But she doesn't miss New Years, you girls can skip out the holidays all you want, but you have to be here for New Years, you know that."

"Of course I do." I chuckle. My mother and I talk some more before she calls it a night. I wasn't particularly tired, but I knew I had work in the morning and I needed the rest, so I forced myself to sleep. That of course, resulted in me flipping and turning in bed for about an hour until I managed to find a comfortable position, and before I knew it, my alarm was ringing.

Don't you just hate it when that happens? You close your eyes and it feels like a second goes by and before you know it, your alarm rings.

I groggily get myself ready for the day, I shower, I put on slight makeup, do my hair and get dressed in a white button up, some denim skinny jeans and my usual flats. After brushing my teeth, I spritz some perfume on and leave my apartment. The drive to work was silent and calm, thankful that I didn't get stuck in traffic before I get up an hour earlier. I pick up some coffee and a bagel and walk down to the building in which I would be in for ten consecutive hours.

"Done!" Lea exclaims, clapping her hands excitedly, John beside her groans as well as Matt. "I beat you, I beat you, and I beat you!" She points at them before pointing at me in pure mock.

"If you would like to know, I finished my scripts after lunch." I snicker which made her furrow her eyebrows and look over at my new work. Matt and John laugh.

"That isn't fair, you didn't go to lunch!" Lea whines and I shrug, a playful smile on my lips.

"Well maybe that should teach you not to take twenty extra minutes," I mock and she throws a crumpled piece of paper at me that I accidentally catch it one hand. I was having so much fun at work with them, this was already a dream job but they made it even dreamier. I excuse myself to the bathroom and while I'm there, my phone vibrates with a new message from an unknown number.