25

You watched with wide eyes as you watched your little brother play. He was receiving every ball that came his way and even landed some awesome spikes. But his most impressive move was his serving.

Your heart always skipped a beat when he served. The ball would get thrown into the air and he'd jump, only to hit it with lots of force to the other side.

You could also see that the other team sweat drops when it's his turn to serve. They had trouble receiving the ball but when they did, you could see the pain on their faces.

"Nice kill Yak-bro!" Bokuto yelled.

You saw Yakeru smirk every time he'd hear Bokuto cheer him on.

Yakeru's blocking was pretty good as well. He never jumped unless he knew exactly where the ball was heading. He wasn't as tall as the others, just a little shorter than Akaashi, but he could jump pretty high to stop the blocks. He was smart when it came to volleyball and you were glad that he finally decided to join.

"I haven't seen Yakeru play this well in while." Ukai said to you with a smile.

"I've heard..that's why I came here today, It'll probably be the only time I can see him play in person."

"How long?"

"I'm sorry?"

"How long have you been given?"

Your eyes widened at his question.

He shook his head. "My aunt had COPD, she was diagnosed at fourty, she was told recently that she only had about five years left."

You looked down at your hands. "Um.."

"I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable..."

You shook your head. "It's okay, and um..the end of this year to answer your question."

His eyes widened. "How old were you when you were diagnosed?"

"I was ten."

"That's really young for a disease like that..."

You nodded your head. "They said it must of been from genetics, like one of my parents must of had it as it got passed down to me."   

Ukai didn't dare to ask another question as he felt horrible for asking his first question in the first place. When you said something about your parents and talked like you've never met them before. He didn't dare ask another question.

You gave him a smile before paying attention to the game again. It was coming close to the end as Karasuno had the lead. 

Yakeru had just put them to match point.

"Go Yakeru!" You tried to yell but not much came out.

You coughed into your arm quickly, being thankful that its wasn't gonna be a big attack.

You kept your eyes on the game, admiring the way your brother looks when he's really into the game. But you were right though, this would probably be the only time you'd get to see your brother play in person. 

You'd probably be in the hospital by the time he had an official game.

The game had ended with Yakeru scoring the winning point for their team.

Bokuto came running down practically slid down the latter to give Yakeru a double high five.

You smiled as you went over to the two, Akaashi wasn't too far behind as well.

"Good job Yakeru, You looked great out there!" You smiled.

"Thanks for coming." He smiled.

"Hey how about we play with our old captains huh?" The coach from Fukorodani yelled out.

Everyone cheered and you turned to the boys. "Is it even fair to have you guys play on the same team?"

"I haven't played in a game like this is a long time so..I think it'll be fair." Akaashi smiled as he started to walk towards the side with Fukorodani. Bokuto following him close behind.

You took a seat beside Ukai again and watched the chaos unfold. 

Bokuto looked very happy to be playing with Akaashi and his two other teammates, although the setter was on the bench as Akaashi had took his spot but no one seemed to mind that.

Yakeru also looked pumped up as he was playing like he did before, but smiling a lot more.

I watched as his eyes gleamed when Bokuto landed a very sharp cross shot. It left everyone stunned, even you.

"You gotta teach me that!" Yakeru said with his mouth wide open.

"Sure thing little man!" Bokuto smiled.

You were also smiling to yourself as you watched them laugh and smile.

Akaashi was admiring the way you looked at your brother. To him, you looked like a very proud sister.

The game went on for some more time till everyone was on the floor exhausted.  \

"Looks like everyone's out of breath." Ukai joked as he looked at everyone on the floor, even Akaashi and Bokuto.

"Welcome to my world everyone." You said to yourself but no one actually heard you.

You walked over to your boyfriend and offered him a hand up. He smiled as he took your hand but he was the one who did most of the work.

"Let's head home yeah?"

He smiled.

"Man I've never seen Akaashi smile that much before..." The one third year from Fukurodani said to Bokuto.

"She makes him really happy." Bokuto smiled as he watched the two of you interact.

"So they're dating?"

"Yeah, only just recently though.." 

"Man, and here I thought she was your girlfriend."

"What!?" 

"Well I mean from the way you were interacting with her brother and always shooting her glances with a smile."

Bokuto rubbed the back of his neck. "No were just friends..Nothing like that Wataru.."

"Do you like her?"

His cheeks flushed at the question. "NO! She's like a sister to me!"

Wataru held his hands up in the air. "Just asking man."

"Yakeru, go get changed, were going home soon okay?" You said to your brother who was till sprawled on the floor.

He gave you a thumbs up.

"You looked great out there too Keiji." You smiled as you laced your hand into his.

"Thanks."

"I'm glad I got to see you play, even though it wasn't offical..it was still really cool."

He smiled as he raised your hand and planted a soft kiss on top of it.

"Let's go wait outside." He said. 

"I'll meet you out there okay? Go say goodbye to your old school."

He nodded and you both parted ways.

You stepped out of the gym and took in the cold breeze on your face, although you couldn't really fully embrace the fresh air, you still took a deep breath.

You clenched your chest as the air filled your lungs. It was getting harder.

For a moment you dropped your smile and the persona you were holding up for everyone, this moment you frowned and winced at the pain from inside you. 

You took this time to let yourself feel the pain in your lungs and throat, you took this time to not be fake anymore.

You always kept a smile for everyone, as you didn't want to worry them anymore than what they were. Especially Yakeru right now.

You didn't want the last few months you had letting people see you suffer. You wanted them to remember you as the smiling and gentle y/n you were once before.

But it was getting harder.