31

Akaashi's POV.

It was the next morning and Hana and the others were sitting in the waiting room with me and Bokuto. The twins were asleep in Yakeru's lap. 

"You know.." Hana started. "She never really had friends growing up. Before she was diagnosed she had a hard time making friends. She was shy but also very energetic as a child. Y/n was always that kid who got picked last for a group project or for a gym team. She jumped from home to home till I brought here home with me in Miyagi. When I heard her story I couldn't help but feel bad for the child. Growing up with no stability must of been mentally challenging." She paused to take a deep breath. "When she was ten she had her first cough attack that seemed to of lasted forever. And when she found out that she had COPD, she made it her mission to live her life the best she could. At first she was angered that she couldn't run like the other kids, or climb the monkey bars like them. Even stairs were a challenge. But she still kept that smile. She was always smiling. Being honest with all of you, I thought she was never gonna have friends or someone to love..but then you two came into her life. I saw her smile become bigger and her eyes would light up at the sounds of your names." She took another moment to pause, before continuing. "Bokuto, Akaashi...you two are the best thing that ever happened in my daughter's life and I couldn't thank you more."

Bokuto and I exchanged looks but ended up giving her a smile.

"She loved the both of you." Yakeru said.

Bokuto gave Yakeru a soft smile and then turned to me, he put a hand on my shoulder.

I started to fidget my fingers and just stared off into space.

The silence was long and it filled the room. No one was crying as there were no more tears to shed anymore.

The doctor finally came and asked Hana to come with him. She did as she was asked and left us alone.

"Here." Yakeru said handing his phone towards us.

I reached out to take it, raising an eyebrow.

"She wanted me to show you guys this video when she wa gone.." He said as he looked down at the floor.

Bokuto leaned in closer to me so he could see the phone better.

I took a deep breath before turning the phone sideways and pressed play.

It started with Y/n smiling.

"Akaashi? Bokuto? Hello. Um..I'm not really good at this but I believe that when you're seeing this, it means that I have finally left the cruel world."  She smiled.

"Bokuto, walking into you that first day of university was the best day of my life. I didn't know it then but that day I had made my very first best friend. And I thank you for that. You were always there for me for when I needed to talk, whether it was about school, my doctors appointments or to just rant about my crush on Akaashi. I also want to thank you for pushing me and always giving me advice even when you didn't think it was good..it was. You are such a ray of sunshine and I'm so happy that I was able to experience your friendship." She paused to smile. "Please continue your dream about becoming a professional volleyball player and keep on showing the world that amazing smile of yours. And please take care of Akaashi...You two are gonna need each other and I want you to continue to keep him close to you."

She smiled and took a deep breath through her nose.

"Keiji Akaashi...I love you. I love you more than words can ever express. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me and I thank you. I didn't think I was capable of love but you showed me different. You showed me that there's still light in darkness. You have taken care of me and always smiled when I needed you too. So thank you. Thank you for loving me even though I pushed you away and it took you to get wasted to get us together, But thank you. I don't want you to be sad okay? I'm in a better place and I'm not in pain anymore. I'll always be in your heart and always with you, but please go and fall in love again, find someone who makes you smile and brings out the best in you. They're out there, you just have to find them. And please go back to school and become the writer you want, go and publish a book or magazine and strive in life. Also I want to apologize in advance. Bokuto is gonna be in his emo mode for a while but I know you'll help him cope just like how he will with you. I love you Keiji."

She paused again before continuing.

"Words will never describe the feelings you both had given me. The both of you are the greatest gift I could ever ask for. Stay safe out there and keep on thriving. Also take care of Yakeru, he may not look like it but he's a big softy and probably will shut down and hide from the world, he'll also eventually try and quite volleyball but Bo? I hope you stop that from happening....Take care guys, I love you. Goodbye."

The video had stopped playing and I continued to stare at the screen, not wanting it to be over. Her voice, I wanted to hear it over and over.

"Yakeru? Can you send me this?" I asked as I gave the phone back to him.

"Yeah."

"Thank you." I said as I slouched down in the chair I was in. I leaned my head back and closed my eyes.

All I could see was her, and her bright smile that I fell in love with all those months ago. 

Goodbye my darling.