Chapter 3

My shoulders shudder as I exit my house, not used to the bitter winter air just yet. I wrap my coat tighter around me and make sure I have Tommy's cigarette box in my pocket.

He had left it and I wanted to return it, it was rare that you caught him without a cigarette hanging from his lips.

"Going home with Thomas Shelby aye?" Jane says, now walking next to me.

"He walked me home, you know that," I laugh.

"And he went into your house, I think you forgot Mrs Richardson enjoys gossip just as much as I do," she laughs, lightly slapping me.

"We only talked, and he's picking me up after my shift," I giggle.

"Oooh what for? A date? A fuck?" She teases.

"None of that! He said he has a surprise for me," I hush her.

"His jewels?" She cackles, gaining attention from a few people. "Shut up Jane!" I huff, my cheeks heating up.

I gladly accept the warmth of the hospital, although it wasn't much warmer than outside, it was definitely welcomed.

"We're on floor three today," she says, beginning the journey up the stairs. "You've got a few house visits Jane," Mrs Belinda says, the head nurse.

"Time?" She asks as I take my coat off and head to my first patients door.

"What'd you do now Danny?" I laugh, seeing the familiar face.

"I think I broke my knuckles Evelyn!" He painfully says.

"Let me have a look," I smile, holding my hand out.

Once he placed his on mine I inspect his knuckles. Poking a few and hushing him when he yells in agony.

"Shh, I'll get you a cold compress," I say, exiting to grab one quickly.

I return to find him fidgeting around on the bed, confusing me since he was always so calm and collected.

"Are you alright Danny?" I ask, putting the compress on his hand which he gladly accepts.

"I... I experience shell shock, Evelyn," he quietly says.

"What makes you happy Danny?" I ask.

"My wife, you of all people should know that," he laughs.

"What about her calms you?"

"The smell of her perfume, it's a flowery one," he says.

"I'll find something that can help," I say, checking his knuckles.

"Not broken you lucky bastard, but you won't be able to use this hand for a while. You bruised them pretty bad so they'll be sore to the touch, a cold compress will help ease the pain and swelling," I say, filling in his form.

"Can you stay in here with me a bit? Maybe tell me a story?" He asks.

"If a nurse comes in I'll just pretend to be checking your knuckles," I say, knowing he needs it.

***

"Your late," Tommy says as I exit the hospital.

"I had to spend a bit more time with a patient," I shrug.

"Who?" He asks.

"I can't say, confidentiality," I laugh.

"I'm Tommy Shelby, I'll find out my own way then," he says, causing me to laugh.