Chapter 20

It's been probably four days and I've started work again. I don't realise how much I love my job until I have a week off then start up again.

"Why am I not on any night shifts?" I ask Mrs Belinda.

"Bad for the baby, Jane isn't on any either," she replies.

"Oh okay, thank you," I say, smiling. "I'll see you tomorrow, have a good rest of your day," she says, sending me off. "You too!"

I put on my new coat before I walk out, seeing Tommy waiting for me as usual. "I need you to meet somebody," she says, linking our arms. "Who?" I ask, keeping close to him for extra warmth.

"Alfie Solomons heard I was engaged and wants to meet you, now he swears a lot and speaks his mind and if he makes you uncomfortable just kick my under the table then I'll sort it out," he says.

"I'm sure he can't be that bad," I giggle.

We enter the offices and betting area, walking to Tommy's office.

"Holy shit you're fucking gorgeous ain't ya!" A man with a beard and walking stick says.

"Thank you," I giggle at how forward he is.

I take note that Tommy has out a chair next to him on his side for me to sit in.

"I heard your pregnant, congratulations," he says, smiling. "I am, thank you," I return him smile.

"I'm sure Tommy has told you of me. I'm Alfie Solomons and I help him do business in London, I run a bakery," he says, making Tommy snort.

"I know what you actually do, but I'm Evelyn Loveridge."

"Oh yeah! She's not a Shelby yet. I can still steal her from you."

"You'll have an angry blonde woman called Jane after you," Tommy says, pulling my chair closer to his.

"Loveridge. You don't happen to be Aurora's sister do you?"

"How do you know her?"

"I shagged her."

"She's married, and has kids, that's why she's in London," I say.

"She got divorced a while ago, single mum, it's hard for her I guess," he shrugs.

"That's why she needed the money! See I'm not gullible," I smugly say to Tommy.

"Am I invited to your wedding? I hope I fucking am. I can make good jokes."

"We don't have a date yet but I'll be sending you one once we do," I say, making Tommy sigh. "She wants me there, so I have to be. I'll be on my best behaviour," Alfie says, "is your sister coming?"

"We're not sure yet, she doesn't like me and Tommy together," I admit. "A bitch is she then?" Alfie asks, making me giggle.

"She has her moments."

"Is this really the only reason you came down here? Not even a little bit of business to do with it?" Tommy asks him.

"Yeah pretty much. Oh one of your men were doing my head in. Can I give him the sack? Maybe blow his hands off while I do?"

"Which one?"

"Scudboat."

"You sent Scudboat up there? Bring him back down Tommy, he has a girlfriend!" I scold him. "Well I didn't know did I?" He defends himself. 

"It's a woman's world your entering now Tommy, if something doesn't go how she wants it to there will be tears and screaming," Alfie jokes.

"My Evie's never like that unless I've really upset her," Tommy says, making me giggle.