Chapter 9

"I saw you steal the key Aurora left, just unlock the door," I huff as I open my window to see Tommy aggressively knocking.

I shut the window once he fishes the key out of his pocket, rushing to put a dressing gown on due to realising I'm in my nightwear.

"The sun hasn't even risen Tommy! And you know I was on a night shift, what do you want?" I ask, walking downstairs.

"I told you we were going to talk to Michael today," he sighs.

"I'll go get changed," I say, running back up the stairs.

"Don't take long! You can sleep in the car, it's quite a long journey," he calls and I hear him shuffling around downstairs.

I pull on a blue and white pleated checkered skirt with a matching shade of blue blouse, quickly grabbing a pair of white kitten heels and shoving them on, deciding to leave my hair down after brushing it.

"Quick! You're gonna make us late!" He says.

"You said they don't even know we're coming!" I scoff, going into the bathroom to brush my teeth quickly.

"I'll leave without you!" He threatens.

"You wouldn't dare!" I say, rinsing my mouth the running down the stairs, seeing him waiting with two slices of toast for me.

"Took ya time," he laughs, handing me them once we step outside, letting me lock the door.

"Thank you," I say, kissing his cheek as he opens the door for me.

"My bag!" I say, never knowing what trouble he could get into.

"I've got it," he says, placing it at my feet.

***

I awake to a beautiful view of the country side and two boys running inside to their mother. I see Tommy walking over after motioning first me to come with him. I get up and out of the car, catching up to him and accepting his arm.

"Mrs Johnson." Tommy says as he sees her. I look around her property, liking how well kept it is.

"We're from Birmingham Council, Bordesley Parish. I'd like to talk to you about your son, Henry."

I listen as they talk, biting back a scoff at the lies they fed her. A boy that looks similar to Polly begins walking down the path, I don't catch what he says but I pull Tommy away a bit as 'Henry's' 'mother' slaps his arm as he hands Michael a card with Polly's details on.

***

"You've had a piss already Tommy!" I huff as he pulls over.

"I'm not taking a piss, Evie," he laughs, getting out and walking around my side of the car.

"What are you doing?" I smile as he opens the door and helps me out, keeping ahold of my hand.

"I asked you on a date," he says, getting a basket and blanket out of the back seats.

"It will be dark when we return," I note, not able to keep the smile off my face. "Then let it be dark," he says, leading me into an almost empty field and laying the blanket out by a tree, putting the basket next to it.

He sits down and tugs me down with him with his back leant against the tree, my back leant against his chest.

"What's in there then?" I smile, reaching for the basket.