Chapter 12

"Here you go," I say as I pass a random woman, handing her a bouquet of daffodils. "Umm.. Thank you!" She calls after me as I make my way to the grocers.

I've been getting tons.

Guess who from.

If you guessed the second oldest Shelby sibling, your correct.

He won't leave me alone.

"Evelyn!" Esme's voice gasps, rushing towards me.

"Oh gosh, what's wrong?" I ask, seeing her panting and her swollen belly.

"Finn's been beat up and Polly's out with Michael," she says, sharply inhaling to get air into her lungs.

"Let's go," I say, taking her hand and letting her lead me, very quickly.

"Jesus," I mumble, seeing Finn with a black eye, busted lip and bleeding nose once we enter the Garrison.

"It's not broken!" Finn argues with John and Arthur.

"I'll decide that," I say, walking over and taking his chin in my hand to inspect his face.

"Here," Esme says, passing me a rag already doused in whiskey. "Thank you," I take it from her hands and begin cleaning him up.

"Give over fidgeting, it's not gonna get you cleaned up any quicker."

"Not broken, but it will be sore for a few days," I say after prodding his nose a few times.

"Now, who did it?" I ask them, getting avoided eye contact in return.

"I won't ask again."

"I got jumped by somebody when I was out with Isaiah, we fought them off though," Finn quietly replies, I could tell he was partially lying by the lack of eye contact.

"And?"

"That's it," Arthur says.

"Alright, now can I go finish my shopping?" I ask, deciding not to press on it anymore.

"I'll take you," Arthur chimes, putting his coat on.

"You've all been avoiding me for weeks and only now talked to me when Finn got beat up," I huff, annoyed.

"We've been busy sorting out stuff for Tommy," John says, making me roll my eyes.

"All he bloody does is make you lot do the dirty work," Esme scoffs, making me laugh.

"Come on then, I've got things to do. Finn you stay out of trouble."

"I'll try!" He calls just before I leave.

"I haven't seen you and Tommy together for a while," Arthur says as he walks with me back to the grocers.

"It's cause we broke up."

"Why? You were doing so well!"

"Somebody told him I kissed Finn when I had only kissed him on the cheek, you know I do that to everybody and Tommy knows as well. He slept with Lizzie Stark and I saw him kissing her and we had an argument and haven't spoken since."

"Why don't you talk it out? Instead of shouting. Polly always made us do it when we got into fights cause she knew we'd end up beating each other up," Arthur suggests.

"I don't know... I think we'd just end up making things worse," I sigh, buying everything I need.

"It's worth a shot, I'll get him to come to you cause I know you're gonna chicken out," Arthur says as he walks me to my house.