Chapter 5

Sans POV
Stars were even more amazing than I had expected.
They glittered even more than Papy's spaghetti.

Mikey tugged at my arm, 'they look better from the roof' he said. We were currently in a deserted alley way.

'How do we get up?'

'Dude you're the one who can freakin teleport!' Mikey exclaimed 'besides I can just climb'

'True true' I muttered, my eyes still fixed on the sky.

'Saaans' Mikey groaned 'its not gonna disappear the second you look away'

A twinge of uncertainty manifested my soul.
That's the exact thing I was afraid of, that this was all a dream and that I'd wake up back in the underground.

But I was torn.
A part of me wanted to stay on the surface forever, while the majority of my consciousness was struggling with the emotional pain of being away from Papy. I'd never really been seperate from my brother.

'Sans!' Mikey exclaimed desperately from the roof top.

I teleported up to him.

As soon as I rematerialised I knew something was up.
My head began to spin and my knees felt weak.
I fell on my face.

Note to self: don't take two shortcuts in one day after suffering near death experiences.

'Dude you good?' The friendly neighbourhood ninja turtle asked.

'Y...yeah' I lied 'guess I'm already fallin for ya, hey'

Mikey snorted.

I got shakily to my feet. I'd lost my slippers during the hubbub of the last few days, the cement roof was rough of my bare bone feet.

The wind was pleasantly refreshing, not too strong but strong enough to make me feel alive.

I rested my elbows on the roof railing, looking up at the stars, which were still there despite the momentary absence on my awed gaze.

I closed my eyes (now that I knew it was safe to do so), thinking of what Papyrus would have done if he were here with me.
Probably something adorable, like point out how our eye lights were like the stars or how the sky looked like someone had tossed a handful of flour into the air.

A felt a small tear form at the corner of my socket and start to run down my cheek bone.
I rubbed it away with the back of my hand.

That's when I heard it.
The sound brought me back to that night when everything changed.

The sound of mechanised joints all moving in time, like the march of the toaster ovens.

I glanced over at Mikey, who seemed to have heard the sound too.

'Kraang' he hissed, pulling me down out of sight.

'What are they doing' I whispered back, but I think I already knew.

My terrapin friend glanced at me nervously 'we've gotta get back to the sewers...'
He was cut off the voices from down below.

'Kraang thinks that Kraang has located the being known as the being needed by Kraang' a robot droned.

I stiffened.
How the heck did they find me?
Do they have some creepy ass skeleton tracker or something?
Also why do they speak so weird?

'We're screwed' I murmured nervously

'Seriously dude' Mikey grinned

'It's how I deal with stress ok' I replied nervously 'Shhh they're talking'

'.....replicating the same energy signature as the other prisoner of Kraang'

'Why doesn't Kraang use the prisoner that Kraang already has to carry out the plans belonging to Kraang?'

'Kraang insists on finding the second one known as the one needed by Kraang for the plan known as plan B'

The robots kept talking but I'd already zoned out, thinking hard.
The other prisoner?
Something about the same energy signatures.
Does that mean...
No.
They can't have him.
Well what was stopping them from taking him too? You were unconscious remember? The darker part of my mind pointed out.

I felt furious and panicked at the same time.

The 'Kraang' had Paps.
I was sure of it.

'Uh dude, you look like you saw a ghost' Mikey said 'wait, is that even weird for you though...' he trailed off.

'Ha, no I'm actually friends with a ghost, he has no body else to hang out with'

'Bro seriously' Mikey giggled, yet I did not feel light hearted.

I wanted to fight those stupid metal heads.
I wanted them to suffer.
I wanted my brother.

Don't be stupid, I thought Your just being paranoid, even if you are right you'll rope everyone else into this.

So what?

'C'mon Sans' Mikey gestured for me to follow him 'let's get out of here'

'Ok' I breathed

We climbed down into the alley, Mikey lifted the man hole cover.

'Dude?' He said anxiously

We could hear the droids approaching from around the corner.

I glanced out to the street, I could see the shadow of three figures in the street lights.

Now or never.

Leapt out into the open (people do crazy things when they want answers).

Welp turns out there were more droids than I had expected.
Personally I only needed one.

Flicking my wrist, I sent a wall of blue and white bones at my opponents.

The screeching sound of metal being torn filled the air.
My eye glowed, the magic overflowing to leave faint traces of blue in the air.

I ducked, swerved and jumped out of bullet paths while maintaining my heavy assault on the Kraang, until there was only one left.

My forehead was dotted with beads of sweat and my damaged eye socket practically thrummed with unused magic.

I was exhausted, but undeterred.

It took two steps to reach the lone robot.
The alien inside squealed pitifully.

'Where is he?!' I demanded 'where's my brother?!'

'Kraang will not betray kraangs trust...'

A jagged bone formed in my hand and I preceded to press it against the Kraang nose.

'Tell. Me. Now' I ordered, anger bubbling to the surface leaving my nerves on edge.

'Sans...' someone grabbed my shoulder.

I flinched violently and spun around, turning their soul blue before slamming them into the ground.

To my horror my eyelights landed on Mikey. He clutched at his chest, fear and confusion evident in his baby's blue eyes.

It felt as if a rock had been dropped into my non existent stomach, i heavy guilt settling in to my bones.

'Mikey I'm so sorry' I let the magic fade, hands shaking, before dropping down to my friends level.
What the hell is wrong with me?!

I didn't notice the reinforcements.