Chapter 9

"I honestly don't understand why you are so nervous."

"I'm not nervous."

"I've seen you try on three different shirts and a dress," Seulgi said. "You are nervous."

Jisoo had never been the one to be nervous about going on dates. She was always the one calming down her friends, the one Seulgi would call to freak out and the one to talk Soojoo out of getting out of it. But this time it was Jisoo who needed to be calmed. She realized she had a problem when she started to get ready three hours before Jennie was supposed to pick her up for their date or drinks that were probably going to turn to dinner with drinks. A date. "Maybe a bit too much," Jisoo sighed. "It's been a long time," Jisoo tried to convince herself more than Seulgi.

"You can't lie to me Jisoo," Seulgi said. "That's not why you've been acting the way you are."

"There's nothing wrong with being nervous."

"I agree, on the contrary, it's completely normal. You are just not used to it and I can hear it's driving you crazy."

"I don't know what to expect and that's driving me crazy," Jisoo admitted.

"You don't know what to expect in what way?"

"I don't know what she's expecting from this, or even what she thinks this is," Jisoo said. "I don't even know if she's thinking about it at all."

"First of all it's Jennie, she probably wrote a dissertation about this," Seulgi said. "And second, what do you think it is?"

"I don't know."

"Or you don't want to say it out loud."

"No, I honestly don't know. I mean, it's a date."

"No shit?"

"Neither of us ever called it that."

"Because you two are a couple of idiots who spend most of their time dancing around each other instead of being blunt and honest," Seulgi sighed. "You do realize that being honest is the only thing that seems to be working for you two? And every time either tried to be coy and I don't know what, it ended miserably for everyone involved," Seulgi said. "Just be honest, about everything. That way you'll help her feel less unsure about whatever it is that you want her to do."

"You know something I don't and it's really rude of you to not share it with me."

"If I told you anything Irene would kill me and Jennie would kill Irene and that'd be two people you'd have to carry on your soul."

"I'm your best friend."

"That's why I'm not telling you anything," Seulgi laughed. "Besides, there's not much I could tell you. All I know is that her thoughts are not far from yours and that you both are exaggerating everything," Seulgi said. "Really just calm down and act like normal people do, everything doesn't always have to be so... over the top and dramatic."

"What do I wear?," Jisoo looked at all the clothes she had already discarded.

"Are we really back on that?," Jisoo could hear Seulgi was starting to get annoyed. "You can wear whatever, I'm sure she'll love it."

"You've helped me with literally nothing. Why did I even bother calling you?"

"You needed a voice of reason."

"And still I called you."

"You are so funny, but keep some of it for later, don't use it all up now. Think of Jennie."

"I'm gonna hang up now."

"Jisoo, just one more thing," Seulgi said before Jisoo ended the call. "When you're going to be deciding what to wear, remember that less is more in this case."