Chapter 11 - Dance with Me

Chapter 11 - Dance with me
"No," I say.

"Come on," Ashley pleads.

"It's bad enough I have to wear a semi-formal dress that is mandatory," I complain.

I like wearing dresses and dressing up but why do it for a guy you don't even know. Ashley and I are getting ready for the auction today. We only had a half day of school today.

All the guys who're bidding on girls have to wear a suit or tux. Don't ask me the difference. I thought one is a bow tie and one is a regular tie but apparently there's more to it.

I'm wearing a rusty pink strapless dress with a sweetheart neckline. The top part is a tight fit while the bottom half ruffles out down my thighs. Above the knees of course. I hate long dresses.

"Storm please," Ashley begs.

"Will it make you happy," I ask.

"The happiest bitch on the planet," she smiles, batting her eyelashes at me.

"Hand me the heels then," I tell her. I throw on my open toe, ankle strap, rose gold heels. "Can you grab my gum from my bag," I ask Ashley.

I look in the mirror and touch up my makeup. I have a simple rose gold eyeshadow and lip gloss. Don't need much.

"What's this," Ashley asks, holding out a sealed envelope with my name in cursive on it. I recognized cursive writing.

Ashley is wearing a tight silk red dress with black stilettos. How does she walk in those. How does anyone walk in them?

"I don't know," I reply honestly.

I take the envelope from her hand to read it.

My dear Storm,
I shall win you back. I will win you back. See if I bid and win you're forced to go on a date with me. And see I always win. I miss you and I know you miss me too. You just need to spend a little time with me.

Yours dearest, A

"Damn Storm who has your heart," Ashley asks.

I forgot she doesn't know about the encounter I had with my ex. I look over at my alarm clock to realize we're late.

"We need to go. Like now," I say.

"Oh shit let's go," Ashley says, taking a glance at her phone screen.

-

Once we arrive they've already started. But haven't called our names yet. I look to the screen on the stage to see the highest bid. $30,000 on Hayley. I'll be lucky if I get $100.

"Storm, Storm, Storm!," Ashley yells snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Sorry what?" I say turning to her.

"The letter," she asks. So I tell her it's from Adam and what happened the last time we ran into each other.

"Holy shit," she says. That's not even the worst part.

"He's filthy rich Ash. He's definitely gonna win," I tell her.

"What's the most he's spent on you," she asks.

"$40,000," I reply. Ashley's eyes widened in realization.

"He'll spend a little less then $50,000. His parents make sure there's exactly that much in his account and refill it every month," I explain.

"Well someone has to vote 50k for you," Ashley says. Easier said than done.

"Ashley Ridden," the announcer calls.