Chapter Eleven - Project Business and Dog Names

Saturday morning, the doorbell rang. I jumped and ran downstairs, because I knew who was coming. When I reached the front door, though, it seems that Toyota had understood who was coming, and he stood with his front paws lined up on the door, barking and with a waving tale.

I hurried over and opened the door.

On the doorstep stood a guy with curly brown hair and a stupidly familiar grin over his face. He wore a Beatles shirt and carried the green guitar case on his back.

"Hi, Adam!" I exclaimed.

"Hello, lil' sis," he said, grinning, "how's everything?"

"Maybe you want to come in first?" I said, and he stepped inside.

No sooner had he gotten a look around was there a dog, attacking him from behind, barking and jumping in excitement.

Adam laughed.

"Hello, Toyota," he said and ruffled the dog's fur. At last, Toyota lay down, and Adam started scratching him.

I thought Toyota'd missed his 'brother,' as much as I had.

"Where's mom?" Adam asked after a while, when the dog had walked off to his spirit furniture: His/My bed.

"She's showering," I said, "but I bet she's heard us, and that she is showering at racing speed right now."

"Yup, I can imagine that,"Adam chuckled, "but how are things with you?"

I smiled at him.

"They're good," I said.

"Oh? Gotten any new friends?" he said.

"Yes, actually," I said, because even though Adam was a very understanding person, I was not confident that he'd really understand me and Sally's relationship. Thus, I hadn't told him.

Adam nearly gaped at me--so leave it to him to have all the confidence in me.

I didn't get to answer my question, though, because mom stepped into the room.

"Adam!" she squealed and ran over to him, giving him a hug."

"Hi mom," he greeted her. Mom kept hugging him for a very, very long time.

"Okay, okay," Adam said, squished in a tight mom-hug. "You can let me go now, because your hair is very wet."

"Stop complaining, at least I put on clothes."

This shut Adam up, but mom let him go soon after anyway.

Mom beamed. She looked happier than I'd seen her in a very long time now the look of disdain she'd wore while standing over her documents temporarily gone.

We talked for a while, catching up. Turns out Adam was having a great time where he was studying and mom said that that was great, but that he needed to be home more (jokingly, of course), I secretly think she was very glad for him.

Mom said she'd better start making lunch after a while, and Adam asked if I wanted to take a walk.

"I think we better bring the lazy dog," I said, nodding upstairs.

Adam laughed and nodded.

"Yup, that's probably a very good idea," he said, so I called for Toyota, who didn't show up, so it ended in me, dragging a sleepy dog downstairs for a walk.

"That is one lazy dog who hasn't changed," Adam said, shaking his head.

"You are free to take him if you want," I said, to which Adam nodded, and said he'd missed his little Toyota.