Chapter Nineteen - Why You Should Never Overestimate Your Convenient Luck

"You'll get punished for this, though," I said from behind a fur-coat costume.

"We've been over that," Tim said, "we'll maybe get some days without our phones. Nothing we cannot live without.

"Well, okay then," I said, "but... I feel kinda bad that you guys are the ones who have to deal with this when I, as well, is a part of 'the team.'"

"Nah, we don't think that's unfair," Katja said, "because if you think about it, we don't want you to get punished as well, so just ditch that thought, because it's ridiculous:"

I chuckled, praying for it to stop as the costumes and technical equipment almost tipped.

I manage d to balance it, though. Thank god for that.

We finally reached the cabin.

I put the things down next to the piles that Tim and Katja had made.

"Hey, when we're all here, who don't we film a little?" Tim said.

"Yes," I said, "I told mom there was an emergency at the elders center, so I can stay for a little while."

Katja snickered.

"Good one, Emma, I bet there are lots of emergencies at elders center."

"That's what I thought," I said.

We set things up again, which took a lot longer than usual seeing that everything was packed down.

"This was exhausting," Katja said when we were done.

"Yup, and we're looking forward to some more filming," Tim said.

"But, aren't we almost done with the filming?" I asked.

"Yes, we should be soon?" Katja said, looking over at her brother.

We were bot looking at Tim. Neither of us seemed to have any idea for ourselves about ehay this was about.

We had no clue, and Tim was the one who'd edited and seen all the clips we had.
"Yes, we have like..." Tim calculated while we watched him in silence.

"Ten scenes left," he settled on.

"That's not a lot," I said.

"No, it really is not," Katja chimed in.

"We're almost done, then?" Tim said.

"That's actually quite weird," Katja said while shaking her head.

"But then there's editing, you know," Tim said.

"Oh, yes, that, but it's a lot more flexible, right? We don't have to get in costumes for that.

"You're right, it is."

A silence fell.

A silence of victory.

"Anyone care for a high five?" I said.

Tim and Katja chuckled.

"Forget about the high fives I want hugs," Tim said.

"Aww, the big baby wants hugs."

Tim shrugged. "I'm not ashamed.

"Well, I certainly need a hug," I said, feeling the weight that the words held.

"And you'll most certainly get one,, come here," Tim said.

I came in the door to my room and got a strong case of dejá vù when my phone rang and Tim's number flashed across the screen.

"Hello?"

"Emma! We have some bad news," he said, sounding very stressed.

"What, what is it?"

"Well, you know we knew mom and dad were going to find out about the fact tat we took the stuff?"

"... yeah?"

"Well, they decided to punish us a little worse than taking our cellphones..."

"What, what did they do?"

"They decided that we aren't allowed to go on the camping trip."

"What! No, that's terrible!" I said.

"Isn't there anything you can do?"

"I can't think of anything..."

"Maybe like... sneak onto the bus?"

"We need permission slips," Tim said.

"Well... that sucks," I said, the emotions floathing through me, nearly drowning me alive.

"I think we'll talk more about this tomorrow, okay?" Tim said, sounding very hopeless.

"Yes, bye," I said and ended the call.

And that is why you should never overestimate your convenient luck.

Now i was stuck on this camping trip I'd actually been looking forward to. I repeat; a school thing with people my age for a whole week, and I'd been looking forward to it.

That was not good.

And the only reason I'd been looking forward to it (here's a ton of telling, FIXFIXFIX!) was that I'd get to spend it with Tim and Katja.

Things didn't look as endearing right now.

My thoughts were interrupted by mom, who came in the door.

The note about the emergency I'd thrown in the trashcan, and mom hadn't been in here.

"Hello, Emma!" she shouted.

I sighed. We still weren't on very good therms.

I stepped out of the door to my room and walked downstairs.

"Where've you been?" she said.

"Er..."

She didn't know that I'd been gone. Unless...

"I was in here a while earlier, and you weren't here."

"I left a note at the kitchen table," I said, not feeling guikty at all for lying.

"I didn't see that, where were you?"

"At the elders center, I got a call about an emergency."

At least half of that was true.

"You need to tell me next time," Mom said strictly.

"Sorry," I said, not really mening it.

"What kind of emergency was is?" Mom asked.

I was dumbstruck, my mind racing as fast as it could to try tho find a possible explanation.

"The water ran out," I said.

Mom furrowed her brows. "What do you mean 'ran out?'" she said.

"Er... It stopped running for some reason, and the staff needed help with getting water from the tap at the other end of the building and..." I fake sighed, "yeah, things were crazy."

Mom looked shameful now. "I understand." She eyed me. "You look exhausted, do you need anything?" she said.

"No, I'm good," I said.

I had a filming session to get to.