Chapter Thirty - The Surprise Visit That Was Bound to Ruin Everything

"I know that some of you have already turned the paper in, but..."

The teacher kept babbling. I didn't follow her words, as I already knew what she was talking about: The project was over. I wasn't forced to talk to the stupid Neleprat anymore.

I could breathe again.

Okay, maybe too dramatic, but my spirit surely had lifter a great deal.

It did also help that I could meet Tim and Katja without worrying about Sally, even though the thought caused me to feel guilty that I was thinking things like that.

I saw Tim and Katja at lunch that day. The first time I'd been able to sit in the loud cafeteria that smelled of sweaty cheese and slightly rotten chocolate milk.

I did that for the rest of the week, too, simultaneously, the editing and project-working was in it's final stages, and we were completely done with the whole thing, which made Tim and Katja very excited, and I wouldn't deny it; me, too.

"Mom, I have something to tell you!" I squealed as I burst through the door of the house.

Mom was standing at the kitchen counter. Actually standing up straight, and when she turned to look at me, her eyes had less darkness around them.

"Hi, what is it you're so excited about?" she said as she started cutting a tomato.

"We're done, mom! We're done filming and editing the movie! It's finished."

She looked at me, not really responding a lot, but I hadn't expected as much.

"Can I see it?" she asked finally.

"Er, not until the competition is over. I gotta be there, and if you want... you are welcome to join."

Mom didn't offer much emotion as she spoke. "When is this competition?"

I told her the date, not expecting what I got.

Mom didn't answer, instead, her head dropped down, and she started to mumble things I couldn't decipher.

"Wha--?" But I never got as far as I wanted to.

"You can't go," she said.

"What?" I said, feeling a ripple in my chest.

I told myself it was okay. I would go, even if mom didn't want me to She wouldn't get to ruin this.

"It was supposed to be a surprise..."

I furrowed my brows. "What was supposed to be a surprise?"

"Father is coming to visit this weekend," she said.

I startled. "Wh..."

I shook my head. "But... dad can come, can't he?"

Mom shook her head. "No, we are going to be home."

"But... I. Am. Going."

"Emma, I am sorry, but... can't Tim and Katinka go?"

"Katja, mom, and do you know how hard I've worked for this?"

"I am sorry, Emma, but you're not going. I've decided already."

I crossed my arms over my chest. "No, I am not letting you do this!"

"We're done with this discussion!" Mom said, raising her voice.

I turned my back on her.

"I am going to bed," I said with the coldest voice I could manage before waking away, making sure to stomp on the stair-steps extra hard.