Chapter Thirty-Three - The Day

When the clock rang that next morning, I lept out of bed, nearly stepping on a yawning Toyota. I ran down the stairs before remembering that I hadn't brushed my teeth, so I ran back up again, brushed my teeth in a hurry before going downstairs again.

Mom was sitting at the table. Yawning. Looking slightly like a much bigger, more humane Toyota.

"Good morning," I said, beaming.

Mom shot me a small smile, her eyes weary from sleep.

It did not look like she was done for this, which was perfectly understandable.

We had to leave this town at five thirty, but before that, me and mom had to drive to the airport and meet dad, which meant that the clock was about four in the morning at this hour, and if I hadn't had the emotions and blood in me rushing around, I wouldn't have been able to drag myself out of my bed.

"I've never really understood why you brush your teeth before you eat breakfast, 'cause isn't the point to clean your teeth?"

I shrugged. "Routines can be weird as well as habits are hard to break."

She shook her head. "I didn't understand that, so either you ar weird..." she flicked my nose as she said it, "or you are really smart."
"Someplace in between, and also, I am a little crazy."

Mom chuckled. "Yes, I do think you are."

After we finished eating, both of us flung ourself into our car, hoping to get the drive over with as fast as possible.

We drove in silence, many unspoken words between us. I didn't know about her, but I was waiting for the perfect moment to say the things I wanted to.

A moment where mom looked happy, didn't cough, wasn't all caught up in driving or so on and so forth.

Finally, I realised that such a perfect moment wouldn't appear, and that I'd just have to blurt it out; break some boundaries.

"Thank you..."

Mom looked at me through the corner of her eye, and her mouth made the shape of an 'O.'

"For doing this...; coming with, and maybe in a supportive way, I mean."

Mom smiled a sad smile. "I am sorry, Emma, for acting like I have been, and you're right, I did have certain prejudices against your friends, and for that, I am sorry. It was stupid."

I shook my head. "Don't mention it."

But then I remembered something. "Does this mean I don't have to volunteer anymore?"

Mom chuckled, which was a relief. "First of all, you do really know how to ruin a moment... And secondly..." Mom smiled "yes, you'll get to stop volunteer. I've already sent the mail."

I startled. "You did... Huh?"

"I mailed the center, telling them that you're not volunteering there anymore," she repeated with patience.

"But... Why?"

It took a while before mom answers. So long that I almost thought she hadn't heard me.

"I trust your friends, she said finally, and with that, the conversation came to an end, silence gnawing at the atmosphere, however, we let it.

We finally pulled up in a parking lot a few blocks away from the station.

"Dad said he'd walk over here, so we avoid the crowded spaces," mom said and I nodded.

"It's been a while," I acknowledged.