chapter one ❃ slytherin!

The last day of term. It was always so bittersweet. 

On the one hand i was excited to have a break from all the pressure put on us by the teachers this year. Finally free from Snape's continuous meander about how were older now, so more is expected of us, how we should focus only on school, but not become like Hermione Granger (She went as red as her tie when he said this.) How we should get all our homework done, and stay out of trouble. (He looked directly at the 'golden' trio when he said this, though I don't think golden is an appropriate word to be used in association with them.) 

But, on the other hand, what was i really going back to? I never knew. I will no doubtably spend my summer in my room reading and practicing how to follow proudly in my families footsteps, my parents stopped getting excited when i was due to come home in about my second year, maybe even my first. 

It made no difference to them where I was. I'm independent. I always have been, I've had to be. From a young age I was often left alone when my parents had to go on some 'important' Death Eater duty. You know who, (No. Sorry but being scared by his name is absolutely ludicrous.) Voldemort isn't even around and he still takes up all of my parents time. 

Summer after summer of loneliness. Waiting for my parents return unsure if it would ever actually happen. They were careful of course but when working with The Dark Lord it is hard to be sure of anything. As my father told me many a time: he wanted me to be prepared for my dark mark when the time came... I don't think anyone can ever truly be prepared for such a thing. I knew this year would be worse, as soon as Sirius Black escaped Azkaban at the beginning of this year i knew in nine months time when i returned home i would be alone. My parents no doubtably out trying to find him.

I pondered over this as McGonagall droned on about something irrelevant. I sat at the back, with my best-friends; Draco Malfoy, Pansy Parkinson (Who were like always, all over each other. Yuck), Blaise Zabini and Daphne Greengrass. They had been my best friends since day one, a time so vivid in my memory. I remember their smiles as we walked to our common room for the first time after being all luckily being sorted into Slytherin. We were just all as horrible as each-other... the perfect group.

-FLASHBACK-

"Of course we were all sorted into Slytherin, it would have been a mistake if we weren't. We know the right kind from the wrong, my father says that's what really makes a true Slytherin." Draco said excitedly as we followed the house prefect to our new dorms.

"Well that Potter was almost sorted into Slytherin by the sounds of it, so maybe your fathers wrong." I sneered, simply trying to get a reaction from my new friend. The others laughed quietly turning Draco's face red. "Oh Parisa, my father is never wrong so i'd suggest you shut it before I-"

Malfoy was cut of by the prefect- i'd forgotten his name- telling us what the password to the common room was and how we must NEVER share it with anybody in another house... Pure Blood.  

---

At the time I couldn't imagine why anybody would ever want to even talk to someone from a different house; why would anybody want to talk nicely to someone so inferior to them? (Snide comments excluded.) Slytherins were to be admired. 

Class was dismissed and everybody shuffled to get out of the room. That was one thing i didn't like about the last day of the term, everybody was always so excited to get home, they couldn't wait to go to bed and wake up the next morning, ready to board the train at 11am sharp. After my first summer home i'd never seen the excitement in actually leaving Hogwarts, despite all the mud-bloods and blood-traitors, this school was like a heaven. 

As we walked to our last lesson before dinner, I heard Draco snigger as we passed a group of Hufflepuffs. Apart from Gryffindor of course, Draco thinks that Hufflepuff might just be the worst house. They were always so kind and forgiving, no matter what you said to them or what you called them. They always found the good in everyone even when the person didn't want to be good. The goblet was always half full for them, they're always dreaming with their heads in the clouds. 

In the middle of the group was a 5th year called Cedric Diggory (Though he was held back in his 5th year for being too stupid so technically he's classed as being in his 4th year... that's just what happens when you associate so strongly with the wrong kind.) Diggory looked to be clutching one of his arms that was bandaged up, most probably from quidditch, he was a lousy seeker, always too nice to play dirty just to win. Although i suppose this worked in our favour as it ensured Slytherin never lost a game against them, not with Draco as our seeker. 

I never understood why but most the girls at Hogwarts worshipped the ground Diggory walked on, all the girls would blush if he even did so much as glance their way just because of how 'handsome' and 'dreamy' he was. I never saw it myself.  

Draco absolutely loathed the boy. Admittedly I never completely understood why, yes of course he was a blood traitor and he was far too nice to everybody it was just unnecessary, but he always just took what ever insult Malfoy threw at him with a smile and turned his attention to somebody else. This in turn, infuriated Draco but honestly Cedric Diggory just bored me. 

We finished up our class and headed to the great hall for our final dinner with our whole house. I was distracted, this year I was dreading going home more than usual, I would have been perfectly content to stay at Hogwarts. 

I hated it in that house but my parents insisted I came home for the summer, they must have known I was unhappy and with all the pressure put on me to follow in their footsteps, it was hard to not be. They had wanted a son, I know this because it was obvious, they wanted their child to carry on the family name. I couldn't provide this for them so instead they were set on me becoming a Death Eater when I became the 'right' age. (I have no idea what they consider to be the right age but I just do what they say, and when they say it to keep them happy.) I mean becoming a Death Eater wasn't really that big of a deal.... Yes it did mean I would belong to The Dark Lord forever but wouldn't I just do that anyway? I can't see me doing anything else.

My thoughts were interrupted when I felt Pansy tug on my arm. "So, well... Dray and I were thinking about heading off and since Blaise has already taken Daphne to his room for the night, me and Draco are going to go to our dorm. Hope you don't mind finding somewhere else to sleep tonight as Draco and I are going to be uh rather... busy." I cringed. 

"Yes. Thats fine just please stop talking." Draco smirked at Pansy and she giggled before they both quickly walked off together, I laughed and shouted after them "Please do not go anywhere near my bed for the love of Merlin, Pansy I will kill you both." Pansy and Draco laughed as they left the great hall, leaving me by myself with just my thoughts. 

Although they were utterly disgusting to be around sometimes I admired how they had each-other, a safe-place. I knew their family situations were no better than mine, Draco's possibly being worse but, I longed for the escape they had in each-other. A way to forget all the things that haunted them. A way to hold on to their childhood... how i longed to be able to do that.

---

authors note: Hey! It's Fran here - I'm currently re-reading this story because my writing at the beginning was terrible so if you're reading this now you've luckily missed the first draft.