chapter eight ❃ the second challenge

November: 3 Months.

Me and Cedric haven't spoken since that night. The night we kissed, well, I kissed him I suppose. It was obviously a mistake and I just wasn't in my right mind at the time. That was a good excuse, but I haven't gone a day without thinking about it since. The way his hair felt in my hands, the way his arms felt around my waist and most of all, how his lips felt against mine. I don't know what I expected, had I expected to die on the spot simply for kissing a Blood Traitor? I don't know, but nothing has happened since, no one knows, no one suspects anything (although Draco has been keeping a very close eye on me lately.) and me and Cedric haven't spoken since. To my surprise I've found that this is bothering me. I want to speak to him; I want him to want to speak to me. But doing that would mean I'd have to admit to him what I'm sure he already knows. I just can't do that. Especially due to the upcoming events which seems to be coming quicker than ever at the moment.

I'd spent most my evenings this month in the library, trying to avoid Draco mostly, but also because I like it in there. (And so does Cedric, I spend most my nights watching him from afar.) Tonight however, Dumbledore has called us into the great hall again. Me and my friends are the last to enter and I quickly scan the room before I sit down. My eyes catch with Cedric's and he smiles, I smile back slightly and look away. I've given up being mean to the boy. I'm not nice, I don't have a chance to be, I'm just polite. Dumbledore stands and starts walking between the rows of houses. "So, as you are all aware the second Triwizard Task is tomorrow. To celebrate before the final, and hardest 3rd task we will be hosting The Yule Ball. The Ball will take place in the month of December, exactly one month from now. During this month you will be receiving dance lessons." The school groaned, almost in unison. "Now, now, it is a tradition for the champions and their partners to start the dance, but everybody must join in." Everybody looked at each other at the word 'partners.' Great. Draco and Pansy, Blaise and Daphne. Then just me. I couldn't help myself, my eyes flickered to Cedric briefly. He was looking at me, and my heart fluttered slightly before I realised it was impossible. I looked away. Dumbledore finished telling us about The Yule Ball and what the arrangements for the second task were, it was to be held in The Black Lake.

The next day came and I was now standing in the freezing cold, looking over the murky waters of The Black Lake. Cedric, Viktor, Harry and Fleur had dived in less than a minute ago, their task was to find their 'special' person that had been hidden within the water within an hour. The first to finish was the winner. Forty-Five minutes had passed, and no one had come up yet, there was an odd splash every now and again, or a faint beam of light, but no sign of anyone. Everybody was on the edge of their seats, including me. This seemed very dangerous and I was getting worried. Why hadn't he come up yet? My thoughts were put to rest however, when I saw Cedric's head appear from under the water, he was smiling so widely it reminded me of when I saw him with his parents last year at the station. However, my heart sank when I realised who his 'special' someone was, Cho Chang. They were both smiling at each other, Cedric swam to the tower emerging from the water, pulling Chang along behind him. I felt horrible, here Cedric was kissing me, or more like letting me kiss him, because of me. When he could have this good relationship with Cho. I didn't deserve Cedric the way he 'wanted' me. He was truly pure, and he had a good heart that deserved to be loved, (love? Is that what I feel?) by somebody as pure as him, and that was Cho. Certainly not me. Suddenly overwhelmed, I disapparated back to the castle. I went to the only place I could think of that would leave me undisturbed. Little did I know; someone had followed me.

authors note: hello! Sorry I am updating so late again, I did start earlier but had a small midlife crisis, again, and had to take a quick break. I'm going to try to finish the month of November today but i don't know if i will publish it tonight. I NEED YOUR ADVISE: if you're enjoying this story, or if you're not, please give me idea's on how I could improve! This will help me in my writing, and hopefully your experience reading. It can be anything! Don't be scared to criticize! Thank you all again for reading this far! I've noticed we're almost at 100 reads that's awesome! Please feel free to VOTE!