chapter nine ❃ invitations

I was sitting in the astronomy tower staring out at the sky when I heard someone call up the stairs. "Ris, I know you're up there; we need to talk, you can't avoid me forever." Ugh, Draco was the last person I wanted to see right now. "What do you want Draco?" He was now at the top of the stairs, he walked over to me and sat down beside me. "I saw you staring again, Ris, I'm going to try and put aside the fact that I cannot stand Diggory for a moment and help you see sense. You understand it can never happen right?" I scowled at him. "Of course, I know that, I don't want it to happen anyway, what are you talking about?" Draco rolled his eyes. "Oh please. I've seen the way you look at him but Parisa you know why it can never happen yeah? I don't think he'd even want you in 3 months." I gulped. "You think I don't know that? Draco of course he won't, he'll hate me, everyone would if they knew." Draco put his hand on my shoulder, I flinched away from him slightly, not used to his sudden kindness. This was not the Draco I, or anybody else knew. This Dark Mark business was really breaking both of us by the looks of it. "I know it isn't what you want. Merlin it isn't what I want. But we don't have a choice, you couldn't risk him finding out. Who knows what would happen if he did. Parisa, we could go to Azkaban. And who knows what The Dark Lord would do to Diggory. You know how furious your parents would be too. If they found out about your 'feelings'." I tried to push that image out of my head, of course he was right, the implications would be drastic, and I couldn't let it get that far. I wouldn't put Cedric in that kind of danger. I didn't say anything, I just nodded my head, he knew I understood. Draco stood up and started walking to the stairs, "Honestly, I can't believe you like a Blood-Traitor Parisa." He started walking down the stairs and what I said surprised me. "Don't call him that Draco." He didn't answer.

Just as the sun began to set, I decided it was time to go back to my dorm. I walked across the court yard and saw the four champions walking towards me all talking excitedly about the final task. I looked at Cedric who was too involved in the conversation to notice me when I walked into someone. I had been too distracted by Cedric to notice that Viktor Krum had excused himself from the group and walked up to me. I blushed and apologised. "It's okay! You're Parisa right?" I nodded. "Great, well um I was wondering if you wanted to go to the yule ball with me? If you don't already have a date of course." I was shocked. Viktor Krum, the famous seeker, admired by all the girls in the school and most of the boys to be honest, actually wanted to go to the ball with me. I should have been excited, I should have been internally screaming, but instead I felt nothing but guilt. I looked just behind Viktor and the feeling of guilt grew when I saw the pained expression on Cedric's face. He was looking directly at us, Harry and Fleur busy talking beside him when he realised I was looking, he quickly avoided my gaze and Viktor cleared his throat bringing my attention back to him. I had to say yes, he wasn't who I really wanted to go with, but Draco was right, and I knew I shouldn't have even wanted to go with Cedric. So, I said the only thing I could. "Yes! I would love to." Viktor smiled and I saw Cedric run off making up some excuse to Fleur and Harry who had no idea what was even happening between me and Krum, let alone what was wrong with Cedric.

I felt horrible as I said goodbye to Viktor and returned to my common room, it was unfair on both Cedric and Viktor. I stopped just outside the Slytherin common room door when I heard voices from around the corner. I quietly peered around it and saw Cedric sitting on a bench with Cho. He was asking her to the ball... I felt even worse now, what must he have thought of me? I kissed him, didn't speak to him for a month and now said yes to going to The Ball with Krum? His competitor. I decided there was nothing I could do, I just had to move on with it. What was wrong with me? A year ago, I wouldn't have even paid Cedric any attention at all, I would have had no idea and I wouldn't have cared who he was going with. So why did I now? Why did I feel so guilty? And why did I feel so upset that he hadn't asked me first? If he had I couldn't have even said yes. I couldn't have anything to do with the boy. All I could so is forget about him and try to have a nice night with Krum. I quietly whispered to the password and walking into the common room. I was going to miss dinner, I wasn't even hungry, I just wanted to go to bed and forget about Cedric.

authors note: hello! Sorry this is so short, it's the end of the month of November and I couldn't draw it out anymore. Please vote! If you're enjoying this story and thank you for reading!