Chapter 23

Poppy Promfey…or Madam Promfey as she is more widely known never failed to see the reasoning behind the game of Quidditch. No matter how many times it had been played it never failed to produce at least one player with more than a couple of broken bones.

Plenty of students had caused her multiple headaches with their injuries over her time serving as the matron for Hogwarts. Yet there was one student who had broken all records. Harry James Potter had spent more time in her hospital than anyone had in the past years over the course of their time in Hogwarts.

She knew it was quite unprofessional in her line of work, but she had gotten fond of the boy and took a lot more care in tending to him than she did with anyone else. That didn't mean that he didn't manage to infuriate her every single time though.

"Why…oh god why am I not surprised to see you back here…" She growled under her breath as she led him to a bed. "And what in the name of Merlin possessed you to come limping up here on your own? Where are your teammates? Is this the way they treat their own? I have half a mind to..." She trailed off muttering under her breath and surveying him.

He was limping and the way he was carrying his arm in that odd angle meant it was broken. On top of that his other hand was blocking his face from view and for some reason, was showing no signs of putting it down any time soon. How could anyone let him drag himself up here alone?

"It's not their fault. I didn't let anyone come with me." Her eyes narrowed at this.

"And why is that? What more have you done to yourself than breaking an arm and presumably a leg? I swear Harry if you tell me you went and got yourself deboned again I'll…" She was interrupted in her rant when he started laughing, his hand finally coming down although his eyes were closed. Thankfully there were no signs of damage on his face.

"Lockhart isn't around for that. I just couldn't wait to be back here…missed you a lot." She felt her stern expression melt against her will.

"Annoying brat." She murmured softly before poking his leg making him wince. "Well congratulations. You managed to break your leg too…literally. Please don't tell me you've done something to your eyes too." He still hadn't opened them and she was beginning to get worried.

"Err…not really. But…"

"Can you open them?" He nodded, his posture stiffening suddenly. He was nervous, that much she could see and instantly she knew something was wrong. "Open them for me." She said as gently as possible. "Here…I'm going to take off your glasses alright? Whatever it is, I can make it right." He nodded slowly and she took off his glasses. It wasn't until a few moments later did he open his eyes.

Whatever she was expecting, it was definitely not this.

His vivid green eyes were no longer the same. Instead they were a dark grey, the precise shade of the storm clouds that were gathering outside to be exact.

She couldn't help it; she was speechless as she stared at them. There was something unsettling about them that she couldn't place and she felt a shiver on her back as those eyes gazed at her. They just looked so…empty.

"Is something wrong?" He asked tentatively and she did a double take. He didn't know? Clearing her throat she conjured a mirror, giving it to him and watched as his eyes widened in shock.

"W-what is this? Why are they…" For perhaps the first time since she'd known him, she could sense a note of fear in his voice making her feel oddly protective of the boy.