chapter 14

They're hearts were pounding as they limped away from the explosions, the ringing in their ears was becoming unbearably loud and painful, walking became hard as they were constantly swaying back and forth and the feeling in Zukos legs had practically disappeared.

Sokka had no idea if they were safe, obviously they weren't as they were still stuck in Ozais complex, although there appeared to be no guards anywhere. Sokkas guess was that they either fled or were blown up in the series of blows. He decided to take the risk that they were out of the way of any potential blows and carefully helped Zuko sit down against the metal wall, giving him time to realise how serious Zukos wound actually was. It was a serious burn, his skin had bubbled and some had even popped causing blood to drip out of his flesh. The sight of it made Sokka queasy but he had to push through this, he had to be brave for once in his life if they were both going to get out of here alive.

"Hang in there Zuko." Sokka whispered, giving his boyfriend a smile that honestly felt more like a grimace.

Zuko scrunched his face up as he tried to say something, only it came out as a small yelp. "I- ugnnh... I'm s-sorry- Sokk- ugnnh."

Sokka stood above him, looking around the corridor to make sure that no one was around, Zuko was badly injured, he wouldn't be able to fight people with guns, with a serious burn, with only two swords. They were in deep shit. The situation they were in didn't look like there was going to be a good outcome. Sokka quietly sobbed, so Zuko wouldn't hear, he couldn't put him through more stress than he was already in.

Sokka attempted to calm himself by crouching and hanging his head downwards as he stared at his shoes, tears still silently running down his cheeks. He needed a plan and he needed one now.

He let out a shaky sigh. "Ok... I think it'll be safer if we make our way up to the rooftops, that way the blasts can't carry all the way down the hallways and although we will be open to any firearms we should be able to see the positions they are set in." Sokka explained, planning and organising stuff to put his mind as ease, almost making him sound confident, while internally we was screaming.

Zuko let out a strangled sound to indicate his approval, before they started moving again, Zukos arm back around Sokkas shoulders. There was no one around, deathly quite as they made there way to the rooftop. They could see the largest warehouse which had completely turned to rubble, burning not to far away. Zuko slid down a concrete structure on the roof, his whole body was now in complete agony, but he had to be brave, for Sokka.

Honestly, it felt like this was the end. That this was all they could do, even if they managed to escape they would be hunted down by Ozai so he could finally finish the job. They couldn't call anyone, both their phones were in Zukos bag, which was now blown to bits. They couldn't even go to the police as Ozai practically had the whole city in his grasp. All they had was two swords, Sokka's half eaten packet of fire flakes which was shoved into his pocket and each other. Sokka would like to say that it was enough, but it truly wasn't.

No matter what the outcome would be they would always be fucked.

"Sokka... this is really bad-" muttered Zuko, wincing again as more pain shot down his lower body. "But just in case- we don't... make it out of here-" he took another shaky sigh trying his best to ignore the pain. "I want to thank you... for everything- and that... I love with you." Zuko smiled softly, tears threatening to fall in his eyes.

"Zuko... I- I love-"

Sokka was suddenly interrupted by another deafening crack. He didn't even have time to process what had happened until he felt an agonising pain in his left thigh. He had been shot. He stumbled backwards and tripped over onto his back.

"SOKKA!" Screamed Zuko, the tears finally streaming down his face as he attempted to scramble to his feet.

"You both disgust me!" Bellowed Ozai as he emerged from a door that led to the roof top, holding two small pistols, both now pointed toward Zuko. "I should've killed you a long long time ago, you are nothing but a disgrace to this family and you will suffer!" Ozai screamed as he pointed a gun back at Sokka, who was desperately clutching his leg that was quickly bleeding out. "And you! You will perish first!"

Sokka looked between Zuko and the gun which was pointed at his chest, the whole world felt as if it was in slow-mo. He blinked, letting tears run down his cheeks.

No. Zuko would not let anyone else be affected by his own fathers abuse and he couldn't lose Sokka. Apart from his uncle, Sokka was the only person from keeping himself from jumping off a bridge and the only person who made him feel something.

In one swift movement he threw one of his swords at the gun pointed at Sokka, the trigger was pulled and the bullet barely scraped Sokkas arm, it bleed, but he was still alive, he was ok.

Ozai spun around his second gun now pointed at Zukos head. "You are no son of mine!" He screamed, his eyes filled with nothing but rage and insanity as he reloaded the gun.

Zuko turned his head away, his eyes squeezed shut. As he heard the gun crack, followed by a heavy thud.

Slowly, Zuko began to open his eyes, mentally trying to prepare himself for his own blood leaking out of his body.

There was blood splattered all over his face and clothing.

It wasn't his own.

His fathers lifeless body lay in front of him, face down as his blood leaked from under him.

A girl stood behind him, her hair was an absolute mess, her face cut and bruised, mascara was rubbed all under her heavy eye bags and the other gun was clutched in her shaking hand. "A-Azula?" Whispered Zuko in disbelief.

"Hi Zuzu." She muttered back as she gave her brother a genuine smile. "We really need to get out of here now. Your... friend... really needs some help." Azula said calmly as she stepped over their fathers lifeless body to carefully help Zuko up.

Sokka had propped himself up on his elbow, his good arm was clutched around his bleeding leg as his hearing and sight began to fade in and out. Azula ripped a piece of of her shirt and wrapped it around his leg to help stop the bleeding.

Zuko let go of Azula and made his way to face his boyfriend. His face hovered just above Sokka's. "Sokka... we're going to be ok... you're safe now and I- I'm so sorry I put you through all this... you're so so brave." Zuko whispered, as his eyes began to water again.

"You're beautiful." Whispered Sokka as he brought his hand to Zuko's cheek. "We did it Zuko."

Zuko let out a small chuckle. "Yeah... we did... just hang on a little longer."

Azula compressed the wound causing Sokka to wince. She smiled watching to two boys speak to one another, the look in her brothers eyes was filled with love as he gazed down at Sokka.

Yeah. She had made the right choice.

__________
Bro... 2k reads?! Thank you thank you 🥰🥰