Leviathan's Maw

Reven awoke. Panicked and suffering. He couldn't stop the flashes. He saw Crystal, or at least the pieces the rigged elevator left of her. He saw Yen, his body riddled with oozing holes acquired by Sun's ambush. He saw Quentin, with his head burst open, his blood sparking the equipment he lay on. And there was him.

He was supposed to die in that electrical blast. Why didn't he? He sometimes wish he did. It was on his very first mission in which he lost everything. It was there, in the Leviathans Maw where Reven Frost became the revered assassin, Shadow. And his first mission was to kill the son of a bitch who took his family.

It has been years since the spartan had shown any signs of emotion besides stoic assertiveness. And yet it was here in the courtyard of a world that tortured him, where the spartan was finally able to grieve his fallen soldiers. The flashes of his brethren haunted him as he cried for the first time in 4 years, the dogtags of Fireteam Viper feeling colder on his neck then they ever had.

He remembered the rage when he killed Norman at point blank range, and the emptiness that followed. All semblance of the charming kid Reven died with Norman and the shot of the DeathStick that sealed Spartan Shadow.

The day passed with Reven sittting on the ground, back propped up against the fountain, tear stained empty face hidden by his helmet. The students walked by with glances of confusion but the spartan was unmoving and uncaring for their remarks. With an overwhelming feeling of apathy, Reven couldn't think of anything. He tried to fathom what he would do as so many people asked, but he couldn't bring his mind to form any ideas. He got a looming headache that felt numb in his mind. His hand loosely held the dogtags as he stared at the ground.

...

News got around about the allegedly depressed spartan in the courtyard. Some speculated he was dead in his armor.

Team Rwby and Jnpr all felt pity and wondered what caused it but were more distracted by their missing freind Blake. Yang seemed the most disturbed. Vance went through the day, mind buzzing about her leader and his strange behavior. Was it guilt towards the faunus? Tyson tried to crack a few jokes about it and reassured his teammates he was fine but wasn't very efficient at hiding his own worries. He didn't particularly like Reven, quite the contrary, but at least he set a status quo that was now in imbalance. Nyssa was the most expressive about her worry, constantly suggesting they go talk to him. In the end though it was Ceasar who came to talk to him.

"You've cause quite a stir." Ceasar said somberly as he approached Reven. With no sign of Reven even hearing him he continued. "You know your team is worried about you. Even Tyson if you can believe that."

"So you've met them?" Reven asked blankly, mind pulsing harder at the thought.

"Not exactly. I'd rather keep introductions at a hold until we figure out what our situation is."

"Our situation?" Reven said aggressively without knowing why.

Ceasar looked at Reven with anylitical eyes, trying to find out what made the spartan tick. Then he found his answer and his hands. "Dogtags. My condolences. This situation must feel too familiar for your liking."

Reven squeezed the tags in his hands before saying threateningly, "what do you want?"

"I want to know what's next for you. Weather you like it or not, our futures are intertwined. I want to help in anyway I..."

"Why? Why would you help? Who are you?" Reven asked with a broken voice.

"... I want to know if your dangerous." Ceasar said seriously.

First the first time in hours the spartan looked up and Ceasar explained. "You have a gift Reven. Ironwood is right to want to recruit you. I do my research and you are everything your reputation suggests and more. But you are not a huntsman."