Quiet

🌊🌊🌊

It is quiet, too quiet for me to not feeling incredibly worried for the brat. She's just on the couch, sitting there and drinking what she always loves to call "Mini Mug Magic". I can't even remember if she's said anything since the appointment. No bickering, no insults, no calling it a hoax. Nothing.

"Do you need anything?" I ask softly and wait a few seconds for her to come back from the depths of her mind.

She simply shakes her head no as she cradles the cooling cup of tea in her hands.

"Okay then, I'll be back in the makeshift guest room if you need anything."

She only nods again, taking a sip from her tea as I turn to leave. She hasn't even cried. I honestly can't tell if I'm more angry with Yoongi or just more upset with myself that Nova shut down and now she won't even let me try to comfort her.

I pull my pen and parchment out, closing the door of the guest room before I get writing. I quickly scribble up two letters, sending them out through my seagull familiar that always gave me an earful of nonsensical squawking.

Sighing, I can't help but worry about Nova's silence. What can I do? What do I say? Can I even say anything? Should I even say anything? She's going to be a mother at 21, with the father of her kid not wanting anything to do with her as far as I'm aware.

I chew my lip as I get up and wander my way back to the couch where Nova is. Her cup of Mini Mug Magic sat half empty on the coffee table and she sits on one leg and pulls the other close to her chest so she could rest her chin on her knee.

"Hey brat," I muster up a smile for her as I sit down. "What are you thinking about, if you don't mind me asking."

"Love 's overrated," she mutters back sourly.

I let out a sigh, not able to hold back a small smile. "Well, you aren't entirely wrong."

We let silence sit for a minute before she sighs and confesses, "I'm scared."

"You have every right to be. Your situation isn't exactly favorable or nice to be in."

"I don't know what to do, it's like in the past few weeks everything that I had or knew is just gone."

"Yeah, I don't blame you for feeling that way. I- I can't even imagine all of that happening to me at once. You're incredibly strong, brat."

"Not really, but thanks," she tries to crack a smile but it's easy to see how forced it is. "I can't even say it, what I am. I know I'm in denial but, but I can't."

"You can't what?" I can't help but frown at the vagueness.

"I can't say it, what's happening to me. I can barely even bring myself to think it!"

"That you're pregnant?" I frown, both confused and baffled.

"Yes! Realistically, I know refusing to acknowledge that I am helps absolutely nothing, but if I do acknowledge it, its like acknowledging that I gave myself to a man who didn't care about me!" She drops her head into her hands, trying to wipe away her tears.

"Perhaps in theory, but doesn't it also show that you're strong enough to survive without him?"

"What do you mean by that? I was always strong enough to live without him," she grumbles.

"Sorry, sorry, of course you were, I just didn't get the opportunity to see you in action before. Honestly, I really don't know what to tell you, everything I'm saying right now could be wrong for all I know," I admit with a little bit of a sour smile.

"Yeah, probably," she chuckles. "But regardless, you are trying and that means a lot to me, it honestly does. Thank you."

"Of course brat. Even if we bicker all the time, I still care."

She smiles, sniffing and wiping her tears away. We sit together in silence, eventually finding ourselves sitting back and leaning against each other, our heads resting against each other.

"I'm not ready for this," her voice is quiet as a whisper.

"I don't expect you to be. No one should."

"I don't know what to do, I can't even support myself. How am I supposed to support someone else?"

I bite my lip, unsure as to how to respond. I mean, how are you supposed to respond? There is no single, simple answer to this dilemma.

"I'm sorry, this is probably a little draining for you to worry over. Thank you for lending an ear, I think I just needed to talk it out."

"Of course, this isn't something I would expect you to bear all on your own."

"Thank you," she trails off.

"Stop thanking me, it's weird coming from you, brat," I accuse with a grin, trying to lift our spirits a little.

"Hey! I can be grateful every once and a while!" She argues sitting up to glare at me.

I laugh, grinning and repeating what she said in an exaggerated squeaky voice making her laugh until she turns red. She manages to squeeze out a complaint about not sounding like that, practically wheezing as tears force their way out of her eyes. I laugh with her, relief flooding through me knowing she is not overwhelmed by sadness at the moment, even if it is temporary.

"How are your cuts feeling by the way? They seemed to be healing pretty well but I haven't checked them yet today," I curiously ask. "Can I take a look actually?"

"You just want to see me in my underwear you freaking perv. You aren't slick," she narrows her eyes at me and I let out a dramatic sigh.

"I'm not interested you brat, I tell you every time. No, I'm not trying to see you in your underwear for any 'sick fantasy of mine'."

"That's what they all say," she pauses and looks up at the ceiling in thought for a moment. "Well, at least most of them anyway."

I roll my eyes and let out a breathy laugh of disbelief at her antics and she grins in return.

A/N: I simply just don't exist anymore.

- Kari :)