Chapter TWO

Kirby Carter

You spend the following day at work, sitting at your desk in a fog, daydreaming about the Norse God.. About his hands on your body, your breasts, your ass, everywhere else and possibly even wrapped around your throat..

You shudder and rub your thighs together, your heated centre aching at the thought..

God, maybe Lucky was right..

You really do need to have some fun.. Let loose..

When your assistant pokes her head into your office, you start a little.. Feeling flushed and flustered to be caught up thinking about such things at the office.. "KC? Your yummy friend is here to see you.." Bex chimes with a lusty coo..

Your heart stutters, skipping a beat.. There's only one yummy guy you're picturing..

The viking..

Ragnar..

You try to hide the disappointment on your face when your long time friend, and closest confidant, Patrick O'connor, saunters into the room.. "Hiya gorgeous.."

You frown at Bex.. "Bex.. Please don't let O'connor overhear you calling him "yummy".. His ego can't stand to get much bigger or he won't fit in the building!.."

She smirks, eyeing Patrick appreciatively.. And you can't really blame her, if you hadn't grown up with the guy, you would probably look at him the same way.. With his tall, lean build, sandy blond hair and devilish charm, he definitely is a prize.. Just not one you were ever interested in winning.. "Yes boss.."

Patrick grins at her before she slips out of your office with her cheeks a rosy shade of pink, pulling the door closed behind her..

You smirk at him.. "Does your wife know that you'll flirt shamelessly with anyone with a pulse?"

He turns his megawatt, dimpled grin on you.. "Naw, I'm jus' friendly.. That's how people respond to friendly, Kirby.. You mite' wanna' try it sometime.." He winks, shit-stirring as he flops down on the sofa on the far wall of your office..

"Noted.. So did you come here just to point out the flaws in my lacking personality or?.."

He chuckles, shaking his head.. "Actually.. I was hopin' to pick up that adoption paperwork for Felix.."

You freeze, wide eyed.. He's actually going to do it.. He and his wife Yevie have been caring for a sweet young boy they named Felix, for months now and you're so proud of both of them for finally taking the next steps towards building their family..

Your heart swells.. "Really?!"

He rubs his palms up and down over his thighs nervously.. His thick Irish accent tugs at your conscious, reminding you of a different time, and you have to make a decided effort to keep your own accent in check.. "Yeh, really.. I mean I'm fuckin' terrified, KC.. But, also.. I feel ready.. He's already part of our family, I don' think we could go back, even if we wanted to..."

You are overjoyed for him and his newfound happiness.. You may give him a hard time but you love Patrick like a brother.. And would do anything for him.

He's the only friend you have, other than Lucky, who knows where you really come from, who you really are.. Or rather, were..

Your real name..

And he knows the horrible things you've done in the name of the IRA..

Not because you wanted to.. But sometimes to survive you have to do things you never thought you'd be capable of.. Terrible things.. Its not your fault you know the things you know.. But it is your fault you did the things you did..

"I'm so proud of you, Paddy.." Tears well in your eyes and he jumps up, crossing the carpet to wrap you in a hug..

"Thank you, Summer.. I know I don' get to see you very often, but... You know I'm always here, rite'.. ..Like if somethin' is wrong.." He makes use of your old name, your real name..

A name from a different lifetime.. 'Summer O'Cléirigh' the name you had before everything fell apart.. Before your parents died and the IRA took you in.. The name grounds you.. It makes you feel a little more like yourself, the real you..

You don't like that.

You pull yourself from his arms, wiping your eyes as you circle the desk to collect the adoption paperwork from your draw and handing it to him.. "What would be wrong?"

He takes the papers, shifting nervously from side to side.. Like he knows something and he doesn't want to tell you.. "O'connor?.." You growl.. "What would be wrong?"

He sighs.. "Hunter Paxton is in the city.. He's been here a few months.. I was gunna' tell you sooner, I jus' didn' wanna' worry you.. He's not here for you, but.."

Your heart stops..

Hunter Paxton.. A man who's name you've only heard a handful of times, a faceless CIA ghost who has chased you from city to city, hiding place to hiding place.. And whenever Paxton is on your trail.. It means Declan Darby, the man you fear above all others, isn't far behind.. "Goddamnit.. Not again.."