Chapter TWENTY THREE

Kirby Carter

You don't try to defend yourself.. What would be the point?..

It's an evil device.. That's only purpose is destruction and death, and.. You are going to have to build it.. "You weren't wrong about me.. Hunter.. I am a criminal.. And I have to build it.. I know it's selfish.. But I can't lose Lucky.. She's my only family.. She's everything to me.."

He drops the paper on the counter and circles to stand in front of you, he reaches out to tilt your chin upwards.. You lift your eyes to his, expecting to see disgust.. But you only see empathy.. "We are going to figure this out, baby.. Lucky is going to be alright.."

His fingers sweep through your hair sending shivers down your spine as you lean into his firm chest, slowly you wrap your arms around him as he draws you into a tight, comforting embrace..

As strange as it feels to be seeking comfort in the arms of a man who has hunted you across the country and betrayed your trust once before.. It also feels incredibly good.. And right.. "I'm gunna keep you both safe.. I promise, Kirby.."

Your breath comes out a whisper, almost afraid to ask the question.. Or even bring up the subject.. But you have to.. "And the baby?"

"Of course.. Duchess.. I'm not the kind of man who would ever take a kid away from their mother.. And I'm not going anywhere.. I want this, Kirby.. I want you.."

You lean back to look up into his earnest grey eyes, hypnotised by his every beautiful word.. He leans towards you and his fresh woodsy scent drifts through the air.. He smells so good.. He looks so delicious.. And he says all the right things.. Before you know it, you're tumbling into a deep, passionate kiss, your chest throbbing with desire, and a burning lust uncoiling in the depths of your belly..

Hunter backs you up against the cool, stainless steel of the refrigerator door, his hands winding their way around your back to slide down over the curve of your ass.. His lips locked with yours, your tongues intertwined in a greedy, needy, heated battle .. "Mmmm... I.. I want.."

Your heart flutters and blood roars in your ears as it pumps harder and faster in your excitement making it impossible to think clearly..

He consumes your senses and the longer you're around him the harder he is to resist..

The Vikings breathing is ragged as he presses his hips against you, letting you feel the hardened masculinity between his thighs..

God.. You want him..

"Fuck.. Tell me I can have you, Kirby.." He growls in your ear as he kisses and nips his way down your neck, the soft and sharp contact like electric shocks across your flesh.. His voice is low and commanding, as though he's giving you and order..

Though you know he isn't..

He's really asking permission.. To take what he wants..

He pulls back to look at you, the dark glint of a promise in his eyes..

In that moment, you're done fighting it.. You're done resisting.. There's no use anyway.. You can't help the way he makes you feel, the way he thrills you..

You lick your lips.. Nervously.. You shouldn't be doing this.. Its crazy.. And stupid.. And risky.. Your mind screams at you to stop.. To pump the breaks on this.. But your body knows what it wants and moves on its own..

You press yourself harder against the steely ridges of his abs, peering up from beneath dark lashes, nodding slowly..

"I need to hear you say the words, Duchess.." His tone is warning, and you see the excitement flash in his eyes..