Chapter EIGHT

Kirby Carter

"That sure was something, Viking.." You sigh, with a satisfied smile as you peel yourself reluctantly away from him..

Even though you wish you could stay in this perfect moment forever.. You know it can't last..

You pull the soft wool throw blanket that is slung over the back of the couch and wrap it around your shoulders as you climb from his lap to your feet.. He tucks himself back into his jeans as you bend down to pick up your underwear.. When you discover they have been ripped to shreds, you giggle and toss them at the viking.. "Guess you can keep them, something to remember me by.." You laugh..

He grins mischievously, catching them in one fist and tucking them into his pocket with a chuckle.. "Thanks.. I'll have 'em framed.." He shakes his head, and the smirk falls from his lips as you pick up your skirt next, now crinkled from spending time on the floor..

He leans forward, elbows on his knees as he watches you.. "You're leaving?"

You stop what you're doing and turn to him.. With everything being so crazy and happening so fast, you didn't think he'd really have a problem with you leaving in a hurry.. After all, he doesn't even know your name.. "I.. Well.. Umm--"

He chuckles, his voice comes out low and sarcastic.. "Shiiiit.. You sure know how to make a guy feel special, Duchess.."

That definitely makes you feel a little guilty..

You stop to consider your behaviour.. Just because your life is a complete shambles, doesn't mean his is..

Shit..

Are you really that insensitive?

Had you just used him?

You hadn't meant to.. Up until now you had told yourself that you were both wanting the same thing, but.. Maybe you've hurt his feelings.. "Oh.. It's just.. I'm leaving town tomorrow, so.. I don't know if this can really.. You know.. Go anywhere.." You do your best to explain yourself, without really explaining at all..

After all, it's kind of a long story and hardly one you'd share with a stranger.. Even one you just slept with..

His head cocks to one side, his stormy eyes narrowed on you.. "Ah, wow.. Okay, so you really want to get rid of me.." He doesn't exactly sound hurt.. More.. Irritated.. Or disappointed even..

At least you think.. But how the hell would you know.. You only just met the guy..

Self doubt begins to creep into the corners of your mind.. You frown.. He thinks you're lying.. That you're just making excuses..

You hate that he feels that way, after all he's been the perfect gentleman and here you are acting like you cant get away from him fast enough..

"That's not true, Ragnar.." You protest..

He just shrugs.. Picking up the TV remote and flicking over to a baseball game on the sports channel before taking his glass of bourbon from the coffee table and leaning back comfortably on the sofa.. You take a step forward, stealing your nerve.. Not wanting, whatever this is, to end on a sour note.. "Hey!.. That's not true!"

His eyes snap back to yours.. He appears intrigued by your commanding tone.. You may like to let of the reigns in the bedroom, but in life, that couldn't be further from your style.. Still, something about him makes you feel.. Well, what exactly you feel, you aren't sure.. But there is definitely something there, a tiny little tug in your chest and a flutter in your stomach..