Chapter TWENTY FOUR

Kirby Carter

You wake in the pink light of the bedside lamp to the sound of deep, hushed voices muffled by the closed bedroom door..

Wait.. Are there people in your apartment?!

You fly out of bed, pulling on a pair of pink and white polka dot pyjama shorties and running your fingers through your hair, smoothing your curls into beachy waves, glancing in the mirror, you are thankful to see you don't look too awful..

When you open the door, you're immediately greeted by the delicious warm buttery scent of chicken and vegetables as your eyes land on two hunky men you've never seen before, sitting in the armchairs around your living room, deep in discussion with Hunter.. "Umm.. What the fuck is going on here?"

The Viking turns to you with a causal grin, as though bringing random people in your apartment is completely normal.. You stare back at him, completely bewildered.. "Dutchess.. You're awake.."

He stands, holding out a hand and motioning for you to join him on the sofa.. You cautiously cross the room to sit beside Hunter, opposite the strangers..

Eyeing your guests warily.. One is tall, tanned and toned, with black hair and a certain bad boy swagger about him..

The other is fair, blue eyed and blonde, his muscle bound frame slung into the armchair with an open, casual ease..

Both are very attractive and you are suddenly hyper aware of how short your shorts are and just how full of testosterone your apartment is at this moment..

You cross your legs nervously, turning to look at the viking, waiting for an explanation.. "Kirby, this is Ace Greyson and Colt Knox.. They work for me at Specter.."

The bad boy named Ace nods once stiffly.. He is not entirely unfriendly, but he is definitely a little cool.. You suspect he has been reading the same file on you as Hunter had and doesn't like you very much.. You can accept that..

You probably deserve it.

"Miss Carter.." He smiles tightly..

You nod back and offer a small smile..

The one named Colt dips his head toward you, his slow southern drawl catching you by complete surprise.. "Thank you for having me in your lovely home, mam'.."

He smiles bright and polite..

You almost don't know how to respond.. Its not often you meet a southern gentleman downtown in the city, yet apparently, that is exactly what is happening.. "Oh.. You're.. You're welcome, Mr Knox.."

He shakes his head and his shaggy blonde hair.. "Naw, you can call me Colt, mam' .."

You smile at him warmly.. You like this one, he seems nice..

Ace barks out a dry laugh.. "Ha! You're going to hit on the bossman's lady right in front of him?.. Man.. you're a special kind of stupid.."

The two grin at each other and Hunter smirks at you before rolling his eyes..

For some reason you feel like you can't just let that statement hang in the air.. You aren't ready for that.. "I'm.. Not his lady.."

Ace arches an eyebrow at you and you immediately wish you hadn't said anything.. Your cheeks heat embarrassedly and The Viking steps up to save you.. "Obviously, The Duchess is out of my league.. So that means neither of you maggots stand a chance.."

He grins his sharky smile as eyes lock with your for a brief, intense moment and you feel a little pull in your chest..

Oh no.. Feelings... Sappy, sentimental ones..