Chapter TWENTY ONE

Kirby Carter

You follow Paxton through the offices into the elevator and down to the parking garage.. He doesn't say a word about where you're going or what is happening next..

Truthfully, you don't mind the silence. your mind is still reeling and you can't stop thinking you've lost your mind, to be going along with such a crazy scheme..

Because, what is the alternative, really?..

You have no choice but to put your faith in The Viking..
Not your trust, no.. But your belief that he can actually help you, like he says he can..
You also don't mind not talking because you just can't let go of some of the things his sister had said...

She has seemed so sad..
And so sure that her brother didn't care very much for her at all..
What made her that way?

.. And why had she offered up so much information about herself.. Is she really that naive, or did he put her up to it?

He opens the passenger door of a shiny black Audi for you and you hesitate, pausing and turning to look up at him curiously before getting in.. "Viking?.."

His spine straightens, tipping his head to one side.. "Yes, Duchess?"

You swallow nervously.. You probably should just keep your mouth shut.. But sometimes you can't help yourself.. Your compassion gets the better of you.. And your curiosity.. "Your sister.. Is she.. Is she okay?"

He frowns.. "I honestly don't know.. And, I don't think she'd tell me if she wasn't.."

You see such sadness in his eyes, and something else..

Remorse..

Something terrible happened between the siblings..

That only makes you want to know more.. "Hunter... She clearly loves you.."

He tries to shrug off your statement as he shifts his weight form side to side, uncomfortable with the conversation.. "Yeah.."

But loving her brother is obviously not the problem..

No..whether he wants to admit it or not, there is something wrong there that needs to be addressed.. You really don't feel like it's your place to say anything, in fact you know it isn't.. But at the same time.. Who else is going to tell him?

You get the feeling that nobody really tells this guy what to do.. But maybe someone should.. "But.. For some reason, she doesn't seem to believe you love her.. That isn't right, Viking.."

His expression darkens and his eyes turn stormy.. "Don't you think I fucking know that? Godamn just leave it alone.." He growls..

You seem to have hit a very raw nerve, so you snap your mouth closed and climb into the tan leather seat of the car, still clutching the heavy book of mythology in your arms.. He slams the door shut before he rounds the back of the car to slide in behind the wheel.. A thick tension hangs in the air as he starts the engine and pulls out onto the main road.. After several minutes of silence, you break.. "I'm sorry, okay?"

Nothing.. No response.. No reaction..

"I didn't mean to upset you.. I don't know why I even said anything.. I was just trying to--"

"To what?" His tone is icy and harsh..

"To.. To help?"
He scoffs, his grip tightening on the wheel as you feel yourself growing frustrated.. "So, it's okay for you to know all about my life? You can surveil me and spy on me all you like.. but when your sister pours her heart out to me without so much as me prodding her, somehow I've done something wrong?"