Chapter NINETEEN

Kirby Carter

You blink, stunned, staring down into Hunter's dark, stormy eyes.. His apology having shaken you to your core.. This guy is good..

Too good..

Everything he just said is almost exactly what you want to hear.. And as much as you want to believe him, you're also filled with a whole other set of doubts..

Is he doing it again?

Just setting you up for another trap.. Another fall..

There is not a trace of deception in his voice and no hint of a lie in his warm gaze as he watches you, waiting for an answer..

Your eyes drift over the sharp, angular cut of his sculpted features, over the light stubble of his jaw, down to the nautically themed tattoos that climb his neck.. You lift a hand from his and trace the lines of a navy-ink five pointed star and compass on the left side of his neck.. Right above his pulse point.. He doesn't move, but his eyes blaze with a new intensity as he watches you, patient, and passive..

In an effort to avoid giving him any real answer, you opt for a distraction.. You don't know if you're ready to give him a chance.. But you also know you're running out of time.. Maybe if you understand him better, you'll get some sort of clarity here.. Unlikely as that seems.. "What is this for?" You brush your fingertips lightly over his warm skin, tracing the letters from south to west around the compass..

"Navigation.." He growls the simple one word answer, as though that explains everything.. You can feel his hot gaze glued to you..

"Oh, so then, you've never been lost?"

He chuckles, rich and rumbling.. "If I'd never been lost.. I wouldn't need the compass, now, would I?"

You're curious...

What does he mean by that? Is there such a thing as a life compass?.. because if there is, you desperately need one right about now..

..You bring your hand up to his cheek and he leans into your touch.. He's just like he was that night, open.. Warm..

Was any of it real?

You know he said it wasn't.. But then he also apologised for acting like a jerk at the hospital.. Now you have no idea how he actually feels.. About anything.. "I think I'm lost, Viking.."

He hangs his head ashamedly.. As if he is responsible for all your suffering, but if you're honest with yourself, he is not entirely to blame..

You were well and truly screwed before Hunter Paxton screwed you..

He's more like the gasoline than the flame..

"Everything is just happening so fast.. Its all out of control.. I feel like my life has been taken over by aliens and now.. I'm. Just floating in space.. Observing.. Does that make sense?"

He nods and gives you a half smile, enjoying your analogy.. "Yeah.. That makes perfect sense, Duchess.."

You nod, glad that he's getting it.. Overwhelming doesn't even begin to sum up the whirlwind of chaotic anxiety that will not stop prodding at the back of your mind..

"That's why I have an idea.. One you're probably going to hate, so I need you to hear me out.."

You arch an eyebrow at him, doubtful and questioning.. When you speak, your voice comes out slow and hesitant.. "Oookayyy?.."

He grins, rising to his feet, adjusting his jacket lapels and tie.. "I'm gonna be your boyfriend.."

You frown, giving him an assessing up and down glance before looking like him like he's crazy..