Chapter FOUR

Kirby Carter

Your feet ache in your expensive, black heels as you walk the block and a half between your office and your favourite cafe..

You don't go to Dan's Diner because the food is good, well not just because..

You go there because it's probably the most welcoming place in the entire city.. The owner, Danny O'dooley is probably one of the most, selfless, kind hearted people you've met, so spending a few hours and dollars there each afternoon is really as much for you as it is for the sweet old man..

As you push through the glass door, Danny looks up from the counter, throwing his arms out excitedly, as if he hasn't seen you in months.. As opposed to the day before yesterday like it actually was.. "Kirby! Aye! Me' favourite gal'! Git' in ere'! What's the craic lass?!"

You laugh, replying with your own Irish accent let free.. Because, it just feels good sometimes.. Not to pretend, even for a second.. "Aye' Danny! Yeh 'ave'ney been watchin' the game without me now, 'ave yeh'!?"

He laughs, deep from within his full belly, shaking his head as he turns to flick on the small TV that sits behind the counter... "Eh me? Nevr'!"

You cross to join him, dropping your handbag, kicking off your heels as you lean over the counter to get a view of the score..

The Irish rugby team is winning, of course..

You grin at Danny.. "Can't beat the luck of the Irish, huh?" Tucking your accent neatly away where it belongs, you smile warmly at your friend as he nods enthusiastically, pouring you a cup of your favourite green tea before passing you the small jar of fresh honey he keeps beneath the counter, just for you..

"Nuttin' else like it!"

You sip the delicious hot tea as he pushes a stripey white and green laminated menu across to you..

You shake your head, checking the time on your cell phone screen.. You had finished up at the office later than usual today, mostly because your mind had been stuck on the news of Hunter Paxton coming to town and you've been trying to decide whether to run now or give Lucky a few days heads up..

You're leaning towards just getting it over with.. Get out fast.
"No, no.. I couldn't possibly ask you to cook, now! It's getting late, aren't you closing up, Danny?"

He nods a head over your shoulder towards one of the tables at the back.. "Not yet, darlin'.."

You turn on your bare toes, following the motion of Danny's direction..

No way..

You hadn't noticed him when you walked in, he sits quiet and preoccupied.. Now that you have noticed him, you're wondering how you could have possibly missed him!

The name falls from your lips before you can even contain it.. "Ragnar?!"

He looks up from his phone.. A confident smile sliding over his handsome face when he sees you.. He rises to his feet, tucking his phone into the pocket of the dark blue denim jeans, slung low over his narrow hips.. "Duchess.."

He begins to move with purpose towards you..

"What are the chances, twice in two days?.." Trying to keep your voice steady to hide your surprise and excitement, you smile shyly, tucking a loose caramel curl back behind your ear..

"Lucky me.." He grins standing tall and built with plenty of powerful muscle, he really is a sight as he crosses the cafe to join you at the counter..

You pick up the sweet scent of sunshine and evergreens, like christmas in summertime as he leans against the counter beside you.. Biceps bulging and straining against the fabric of his crisp white t-shirt, he smirks, looking down at your bare feet on the black and white checkerboard tiles below.. "Long day, Dutchess?"

You wriggle your tiny toes and he lifts his gaze to meet yours.. Those penetrative grey eyes taking all of you in, watching you curiously.. "Viking, you have no idea.." You look over to Danny who is grinning at you from the porthole in the kitchen door.. "I think Danny wants to go home.."

You giggle, as Danny ducks out of sight when the viking turns to look in the same direction as you..

"Then we should leave him to it.. You wanna grab a drink with me?" He's so direct.. Straight forward.. You can appreciate that.. Actually, you love it..

The little voice of reason in your head whispers her warnings.. 'don't get too close.. don't trust him'..

Your eyes go back to the football match on the TV as you chew your lip, contemplating..

The other part of you.. The heated, wanting feminine part, has other ideas..
Why shouldn't you just go with him?..
Would that really be so wrong?..

"Ummmmm..." You turn back to him a little apprehensive, and more than a little curious..

His wicked, sharky smile flashes once more.. His voice is low and gravely, sending shivers across your skin.. "I'm not gunna beg you, Duchess, it's just a drink.. You either want to or you don't.." He shrugs casually..

He's got you there..

..Besides, you'd never want a man like him to beg you for anything..
In fact, you'd much prefer it the other way around..

One night.. Just one night to forget it all.. All the hurt and the heartache.. One night to feel good, instead of the constant doubt and dread of your real life.. "Okay.." You agree..

He arches his eyebrow in surprise.. Clearly he had been expecting a different answer... Any other time, you probably would have given him a different answer.. But not tonight.."Okay?"

You nod meeting his eye, swallowing hard.. At that moment you make a decision.. Tonight, you are going to see what this gorgeous viking can do.. because you want to.. No, you need to.. And you have nothing to lose.. Then tomorrow, you and Lucky are going to leave the city, and start again..

"Go on then, show me a good time Viking.."