Chapter FORTY

Hunter Paxton

The tarmac is lit in an eerie glow, green and red LEDs light the edges of the otherwise dark runway..

From my position, crouched behind a stack of wooden storage crates, by the side of a steel-clad hanger, I can clearly see the entirety of the small private airport..

That includes the couple of fraternity-looking guys who are currently trying to stuff a screaming Lucky O'Cléirigh into the back of a red and white and green light aircraft.. "LET ME GOOOOO!! STOOOP!! AHHHHHHHHHH!!"

And I mean screaming bloody murder.. The lungs on this lass would put sopranos to shame..

But there is noone around for miles and I can't move in, not yet.. There are several other of Darby's men guarding the perimeter and even though it goes against basic instinct, I need to wait for O'connor and Knox to fall into their positions..

Its not long before O'connors voice echos through my ear peice.. "Alpha two, in position.."

Knox checks in seconds later.. "Delta three, in position.."

I watch, waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike.. Extraction of the asset alive, is the only objective.. Whatever the cost.. Kirby would never forgive me if something were to happen to her sister on my watch.. And honestly.. I'd never forgive myself..

Kirby has fought, tooth and nail to protect Lucky.. And I'll happily give that same dedication to her and our family..

And thats what Lucky is to me now.. As precious as my own sister..

Failure is not an option..

"Hold position.." I tell them..

With Ellerie out and Greyson MIA, I am an agent down from my usual team, so I cant risk going in too early..

Besides.. They're not going to hurt the girl, at least, it wouldn't make sense for them to at this stage..

With construction still incomplete and my sting scheduled for only a week from today.. Something must have happened to spook Darby.. Once we secure the girl, I'll have to figure out what that was..

I take a deep breath, slowing my heart rate and preparing myself for the breach.. It comes easy.. Like second nature.. Years of training, front line combat and feild work have prepared me for situations like this..

And while most of the time I'm sure I appear cocky and over confident.. It is only because a situation like this, high pressure, high stakes..

Its where I do my best work..

Two of Darby's goons slowly begin to move away from the plane, leaving only one to secure Lucky in the cabin.. He stands by the cabin door, taunting his hostage through the window..
Perfect.. "Alpha two, target one o'clock.."

Patrick's response is immediate.. " I see him.."

This is it.. The opportunity.. So, we move.. "Take the shot, delta be ready to move on red.." I give Knox the order to go after first blood..

A beat passes before the thundering crack of the bolt action rings out in the night..

- CRACK -

O'connor's shot is clean, landing right between fratboys eyes.. As soon as the thugs body hits the asphalt, the rest begin to scatter, running for cover and drawing weapons..

I push up from my position, my M18 drawn.. Barrelling across the tarmac to see Knox emerging from the opposite direction..

Flanking the hostiles we begin to herd them, out towards the open airstrip to be picked off one by one as O'connor's sniper fire begins to rain..