Chapter SIXTEEN

Kirby Carter

Hunter narrows his scrutinous gaze on you.. You try to get up, ready to beg, plead and grovel.. Anything just to make him listen, but he stops you by holding up a hand, crossing back to join you instead, standing tall and rigid beside the bed.. "Hunter.. Please.."

Tears well in your eyes at the thought of what happens to your sister if you don't answer.. He watches you, like he's trying to read whether or not you're lying.. You really think he is going to deny you.. Until he presses the little green button, accepting the call and putting it on loud speaker, holding the phone out for you to talk.. He gives you a stiff nod, indicating for you to speak.. His steady gaze never leaves yours as you blink up at him gratefully..

You take a deep nervous breath, leaning forward to speak into the phone, trying to keep the tremor from your wavering voice.. "Y-Yes?"

You stare up in to the vikings, calm, grey eyes as he nods encouragingly, soothing you.. Darby's condescending, cruel tone resonates around the room..

"I'll be stopping by next week to see the plans.. So they best be ready.."

The viking frowns, cocking his head to one side.. Clearly wondering what plans exactly are being discussed here..

You swallow the lump that forms in your throat at the idea of him finding out.. What he will think of you.." I-- there's no way I can have them finished that fast.. I need more time.. You know that.."

There is pause and you swear your heart stops.. You wait for his reply, holding your breath.. "We'll see, baby.."

.. He is eerily calm for a psycho and that makes him even scarier..

That was always the most unsettling thing about Darby.. One minute he would be calm, quiet, brooding.. The next.. He would explode.. Unpredictable and insane.. "Oh, by the way Summer.. How's your heart? Been feeling.. not so great since out last chat?"

Paxton scowls as your brow furrows in confusion.. You remember the painful fluttering in your chest, how could Darby know about that?

Is he watching you?..

"What?.. H-how do you know that?"

There's an evil chuckle.. "Baby.. You know me better than that.."

You do know him.. And suddenly you realise exactly what he is talking about..

Darby may not have been as brilliant at mathematics and engineering as you.. But chemistry.. That was always his strong suit.. He would spend hours on concepts for bio-weapons to present to his father, who was never interested in such things..

After all, Malcom may have been a terrorist, but he was one who genuinely believed he was liberating his people from an oppressive regime..

Declan on the other hand..

Declan only cares about his own ambitions.. His desire to make an imprint on history, no matter the method..

"You.. You fucking poisoned me?" You choke..

He hums.. "Just a small dose, baby.. Don't worry, not enough to kill you.. Jusssssst enough for you to know the pain your sister will experience, if you don't deliver.."

There is a click and the line goes dead.. Paxton tucks the phone back into his pocket, striding to the door without a seconds hesitation..

"Where are you going?" You whimper.. Not meaning for your voice to come out sounding so weak and needy..

But you're honestly beyond terrified.. You feel as though you might fall apart any second.. Like the pressure building around you might actually suffocate you..

"Nowhere.. I'm going to have O'connor alert the doctor that there's a possibility a toxin is partly responsible for your condition.." He steps out of the room, only for a few seconds..

You close your eyes, taking a few meditative breaths until he returns.. "How are you feeling?"

Your eyes snap open as he crosses back to stand beside the bed.. His gaze sweeping over you, wary and assessing..

"I'm.. Fine.. "

You try to tamp it all down, the bubbling, churning sea of emotions swirling inside you..

He shakes his head giving you a hard warning stare.. "You wanna try telling me how you really feel, Duchess.." You begin to squirm under his intense gaze..

"I'm.. Pissed off.. And I'm scared.." You admit..

He sighs, rubbing the back of his neck.. "Scared if that guy? Who is he?"

You shake your head.. "No.. I mean, yeah.. Him. But.. Right now.. It's you who scares me the most.."

A flicker of hurt crosses his stony features.. "I'm not going to hurt you Kirby.."

You lean back, trying to relax.. Something that seems like an almost impossible task.. Except for the medication working overtime to subdue your nerves, for which you couldn't be more grateful than you are right now.. "You already have, viking.. Countless times.. You won't stop until you've taken everything from me.. Until everything I have is destroyed.. Everyone I care about.."

You close your eyes.. Tiredness taking hold as you turn to your side, snuggling into a more comfortable position.. "You don't care about my life.. Or what happens to me.. You'll get my sister killed.. You'll lock me up.. Take my baby from me.. I can already see it.. And you think.. I'm the monster.." Your words trail off to a mumble as you finally begin to drift off to sleep, unable to fight the sedative any longer.. "No.. You're..the..monster, Hunter Paxton..."

Just before you slip into a deep sleep, you could swear you hear the viking, mutter under his breath.. "I know, baby.."