Chapter FIFTY

Hunter Paxton

. . t w o w e e k s l a t e r . .

Sitting in my office, my former CIA hander and friend, Special Agent Donald Redlend, sits opposite me as I slide a set of files across the desk..

Files that contain all the dirt Konstantin had on his least favourite Bratva memebers of the Langley chapter.. When he had offered me the intel, I didn't really understand what he had to gain.. Other than having the CIA remove a bunch of men he is more than capable of dissappearing himself..

When I had asked him about the why, all he had to say was;

"To keep safe Kirby, iz small price to pay.. Zhe iz vury special vwoman.."

Making it abundantly clear to me Kirby had made as much as an impression on the stoney Russian as she had me.. As she does on everybody.. You can't meet her and not be impressed.. Its impossible, believe me, I tried.. He liked her.. It was pretty simple.. Still, I had felt the obligation to warn him..

"You know, she's my woman.. Right?.." I'd growled in repsone..

He had only laughed.. "Ah, yez.. But you have vury dangerous job, comrade.."

That dry, dark humour of his, I have to admit.. Damn funny..

....

Now, Redlend looks over the list of names, half of the details redacted in thick black marker on these particular copies.. But I have the originals.. Immediately I can see his beady eyes light up excitedly.

"Do we have a dead, Red?"

He looks up at me.. "And youre saying.. all I have to do is remove all trace of Summer O'Cléirigh from the ULTRA case?"

I nod.. "Yes, Summer O'Cléirigh.. Amber Blake.. Sara Keely.. And every other name associated, including Kirby Carter.."

He fingers the files greedily, I can see the interest flicker across his horse-like features... "How many will you give me?"

He wants to know how many members I have files on.. Basically he wants to know how big a commendation he would get for the bust..

The answer.. A fucking big one..

There are names in this file that I recognise as Bratva members the CIA was chasing back when I was undercover.. This would be a huge win for him..

"Thirteen.. Fifteen if you don't piss me off during this negotiation.."

He clicks his tounge, playing hardball.. "I will consider it.."

He places the file down.. I knew he would play it this way, which is why I saved the best for last.. "Right.. You do that.. But if you want Interpol's full cooperation on this, you might want to get it done by the end of the day.."

Right on cue, Stuart Diggle knocks on the open office door.. "You asked to see me, Mr Paxton?.."

Donald jumps to his feet.. It is ridiculously rare that a negotiation of cooperation between these two organisations occurs, and its not lost on Redlend the opportunity that has fallen into his lap to gain valuable international intel.. "Special Agent Stuart Diggle.. Remind me again, What did you say your terms for Interpol's full cooperation on the ULTRA case were again?.." I click my fingers, acting like I can't remember what it was he had said..

Of course I can..

Diggle smiles politely, though he knows exactly what I called him in here for.. See, the old fella felt he owed a debt to Kirby, after what happened to his operation all those years ago, his leaving her behind.. Maybe this way he felt like he could balance the scales.. And maybe it could, his cooperation sure won't hurt.. "That Miss Kirby Carter will be removed from the case history.. It is the only requirement.."

Donald grins, turning to me with an out streaching hand as I rise to my feet with a proud smirk.. I can't help it, god it's good to win.. "We have a deal, gentlemen.. Great work as always, Paxton.. You sure you don't want to come back to Langley?.. Ive still got a place on my team.. You're not an easy man to replace.."

I shake his hand firmly.. "I appreciate it, Redlend, but I'm where I'm supposed to be.."

He nods, moving to shake Diggle's hand, the two of them heading out of my office together to discuss their joint interests..

A flash of ginger and pink from the corner of my eye alerts me to a presense in the hall..

Theres only one person it would be.. "Stop lurking, Devereux.."

Ellerie pokes her head around the corner.. "I wasn't lurking.. I was just--"

"Eavesdropping?.." I finish for her..

She shrugs, smiling shyly.. "Maybe.. A little.. But I wanted to talk to you.. Its about Kirby.."

I wave her in, motioning for her to take a seat.. "What is it?"

She perches on the edge of the desk, rubbing her hands together nervously.. "Um.. So firstly, Iris would like for you to ask Kirby if she would consider.. Training our explosives disarmament team?.. Do you think she would be interested?.."

Of course Iris now decides to see Kirby's value.. I swear that woman is a viper.. But, she's is by far not the worst boss I've had, and in the world of espionage there are only so many ways to get the information you need.. So I understand..

Still, I can't speak for Kirby.. Though the woman is a damn good lawyer, with an excellent reputation.. I don't particularly see her wanting to leave that behind to train a bunch of ex-soilders and Marines how to do it the right way, vs whatever they've been taught previously.. Not full time at least.. "I can ask, but tell Iris not to hold her breath.."

She nods, picking up a pen that she begins to twiddle between her fingers..

"Is that.. Everything?" I ask, knowing it isn't.. She wouldn't still be here if it was..

She sighs.. "Do you think she will ever forgive me Axe?.."

I chortle in surprise at her sharp turn in topic.. "Aha.. You think I know?.."

She folds her arms.. "Well.. She forgave you!.. I would argue what you did was far worse.."

I lean back with a hum.. "Hmm, yeah but.. I wasn't her friend, El.. Look.. She just needs time.. Kirby's been hurt by the people she trusted the most.. .. In a way, I guess her being mad at you probably means she cares.. So, you know, just keep being you.. Eventually she'll see that you meant well.. You always do, love.."

She smiles.. "Thanks.. Thats nice of you to say.. And I hear you, she needs time.. But.. Well, you know how Jackson is always saying patience isn't really my strong suit.. He's not wrong So I was actually thinking, maybe I could throw her a baby shower?.. Since she didn't get to have one.. I kind of thought it might be nice for her.. To know that we're all here to support you guys.."

A baby shower?..

I don't entirely know what that is but.. It sounds nice.. Like something that Kirby would enjoy..

Not sure if she'd appreciate it coming from Ellerie, but I don't feel like I have that much of a choice here.. "Sure.. I think she'd probably appreciate the gesture.."

Ellerie bounces from my desk, seeming lighter than when she had come in.. "Great so, its going to be tomorrow at your apartment.. Lacey is taking Kirby and Axle to the pediatrician.. So I'll be by in the morning to set everything up after she leaves.."

I chuckle.. "I see you weren't really asking.."

She hums, heading back for the door.. "No.. I guess not..

I call after her.. "Ford is a literal Saint.. Putting up with you.." I scrunch up a peice of paper and toss it at her, it hits her in the back and she spins around laughing..

"I could say the same thing about Kirby, you fucking jerk!"

I turn back to my computer, chuckling to myself.. I have no idea what to expect tomorrow, but as I type the words 'baby shower' into the search bar and the results begin popping up, I get the feeling its going to be an interesting occasion..

And I plan on making it a day Kirby won't forget..