Chapter Six

//Sophia's pov//
I wake up to the sound of my phone ringing and groan. I check the time and sigh. "Sophia?"
"Harry. It's two in the morning. Why the hell are you calling me?" I say sitting up.
"I couldn't sleep."
"So you had to wake me up?"
"I figured if you weren't asleep you wouldn't answer."
"Harry, the only reason I answered is because the ringing woke me up."
"Right. I'm sorry," he says and I sigh.
"It's fine. As long as I'm up did you wanna talk about something?"
"No. I just needed someone to talk to and Gemma passed out hours ago."
"I really like her."
"I think she likes you too."
"Oh really? Good! I was worried after my first impression she'd think I was a weirdo."
"I mean she might but..."
"Harry, totally not helping."
"Sorry," He says and I get out of bed. I walk out of my room and into the kitchen. I grab a granola bar before heading back to my room. "So you talk about me to your sister?"
"Damn it. I was hoping that wouldn't come back up."
"Come on if you can mess with me then I can mess with you."
"I have talked to her about you, yes."
"All good things I hope?"
"Actually I talked some shit about you," he says and I roll my eyes. "I can see you rolling your eyes through the phone."
"Not possible."
"But am I right? Are you rolling your eyes?"
"Yes Harry you're right. But seriously what did you tell her?"
"That you were funny and sweet and easy to get along with and that you were a decent actress."
"Uh... a decent actress? Excuse me sir but just a few days ago you told me that I was good at acting," I say and he sighs.
"You are. Just not as good as me."
"Oh. Someone's cocky."
"Cocky or confident?" He asks and I think for a moment.
"Definitely cocky," I say laughing.
"Hey," He says, his voice getting a bit higher.
"Harry, you sound exhausted." I say and he sighs.
"I am."
"Okay. Well get some sleep. I'll see you tomorrow, okay?" I say and there's a long moment of silence.
"Okay. Goodnight Sophia."
"Goodnight Harry."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I pull up to the studio the next day and see Harry leaning up against my trailer door. "Morning Styles."
"Morning. Would you like to join me and Gemma for breakfast?"
"I'd love to. But I need to get ready cause I'm in the first scene today." I say and he nods.
"Well if you have any extra time after you finish getting ready you know where we are," he says and moves so I can open the trailer door.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After changing into my costume I walk outside to find Avery. "Hey Alex! Have you seen Avery?" I ask a guy in charge of set design.
"She was talking to Neal last time I saw her," he says and I sigh. I walk over to Harry's trailer and knock on the door. "Hey you," Gemma says, opening the door. She lets me in and I smile. Harry is sitting on the couch with a plate and some orange juice. "Sophia, hey," he says in between bites.
"Can I get you a plate?" Gemma asks and I nod.
"That would be great thanks Gemma," I say and she grabs a plate and puts a cinnamon roll on it. She hands it to me and I sit next to Harry on the tiny couch, our legs just inches apart. "I thought you said your scene was first?" Harry says and I sigh.
"It is but they didn't give a specific time," I say and Harry grins.
"You rebel."
"I'm not being a rebel or troublemaker. But if they wanted me there by a certain time they'd set a certain time."
"Whatever you say Sophia."
"These are really good. Where did you get these?" I ask, changing the subject.
"This small restaurant by my house. Gemma swung by on her way here," Harry says and Gemma smiles.
"Well thanks Gemma," I say and she smiles. I hear a knock on a door and go to open it. I look around and see Avery standing in front of my trailer door. "Ugh. I have to go. Thanks anyways," I say and hand the plate back to Gemma. I head off towards the set and sigh.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Where is he?" I yell pushing a man up against a wall.
"I'm not telling either of you anything," he spits and I look to Harry
"Cuff him," I say, dropping him.
"I can't do that."
"Why the hell not?"
"I can't arrest anyone without probable cause, all I can do is make him come in for questioning."
"Fine," I say and Harry gestures towards his car where the man walks. Harry grabs my wrist and pulls me back away from the man. "What the hell is wrong with you? I said you could work with me if you follow my rules."
"Yeah I heard you all twenty million times," I say squirming out of his grasp.
"What's going on with you?" Harry asks and I sigh.
"You really wanna know?"
"Yes," He says and I sigh.
"Hey lovebirds, let's go!" The man yells honking the horn.
"And cut!" Neal yells and I look at Harry.
"Good job Knight.
"Knight?"
"What, you're the only one who can call someone by their last name?"
"No," I say and he smiles. "Let me guess you're about to ask if I have plans for lunch?"
"Well do you?"
"I have a couple things I have to do. Plus you should spend some time with your sister."
"But Sophia..." Harry whines and I roll my eyes.
"Don't be a baby," I say and he looks at me.
"I'm not a baby!"
"You're acting like one," I say walking towards the makeup ladies. They begin doing touch ups and Harry shakes his head. "I most certainly am not."
"Look Harry I'd love to have lunch but I really have to run errands."
"I can come with!"
"You can keep Gemma company is what you can do."
"Ugh fine. Tomorrow? Please?"
"We'll see," I say following Neal and Avery over to where the next scene is being filmed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Avery finally calls lunch and I head to my trailer. I change really quickly and head outside. I dial a number on my phone and sigh. It rings once then twice before they finally answer. "Hello?"
"Mom!"
"Sophia? Hi," she says and I look around.
"How are things there?"
"They're good. How are you?"
"Good. Great actually! I got a role!" I say smiling.
"Oh honey! I'm so proud of you!"
"Thanks mom!"
"I'll talk to your dad tonight see when we can come see you!"
"Great. Um... how-how's Kenzie?"
"She's okay."
"I miss her."
"She misses you. How's Claire?"
"Good. Work during the day party at night."
"What are we gonna do with her?"
"I-I don't know."
"So what are you doing about work?"
"Well I've been taking some days off but I don't know, maybe I should just quit, because I'm gonna get some money from this movie and this is the job I want!"
"But what if something happens and they have to cancel the movie or it doesn't do as well as you expect what then?"
"Mom you're worrying too much, besides you know I hate working at Champys!"
"I just want you to still be able to stay in LA, if you still want to, if things don't work out."
"Things will work out. Why can't you just let me quit my job? And be happy?" I say as I hear footsteps behind me.
"I want you to be happy. I just also don't want you to not have any way to support yourself."
"Yeah I.. I get it."
"You do whatever you want? Okay?"
"Are you with Kenzie?"
"No dear I'm at work."
"Can you have her call me later?" I say my voice cracking.
"Yes dear," she says.
"Okay love you."
"Love you too," she says and I hang up. I lean up against the car and sigh. I close my eyes and bite my lip. I try calling someone but it goes straight to voicemail. "Hey it's Addison-" her voicemail says and I sigh.
"You okay?" Harry says and I turn to look at him.
"I'm fine."
"You don't look fine." He says and I shake my head.
"Don't worry about it okay?"
"Sophia. Come on. Talk to me," he says hugging me and I sigh.
"It's just hard being away from my family. And my moms worried if I quit my job and something happens with the movie I won't be able to pay my bills or anything like that."
"Your job?"
"Yes Harry I need some way to support myself. Especially here in LA."
"No I just meant you don't talk about it?"
"Guess it never came up. But you're a singer and an actor so you're only doing things you enjoy. And I'm stuck serving cheese fries as a waitress at Champys." I say looking down.
"Then quit," Harry says.
"What?"
"If you hate your job so much, quit."
"I want to but she's right if..."
"The movie will be great and if you're miserable it doesn't matter. You can get another job. Or I can help you out but Sophia I genuinely think you should quit."
"I-"
"If you don't, I'll quit for you and have Gemma write a letter of resignation. Come on."
"Damn it Styles. Fine."
"Alright let's go"
"Um... go where?"
"To quit your job," he says and I laugh.
"Oh you meant right now? I was thinking after we finished filming, preferably when they're closed."
"No. The sooner you get it over with the better it'll be."
"Harry I have things to do!"
"Like what?"
"Like I have to go get food for my apartment and go pay the rent and pick up my check," I say mumbling the last one.
"Perfect. Gem and I will go with you and you can quit," he says and I roll my eyes.
"Why do you have to be so stubborn?"
"Trust me my stubbornness pays off now let's go," He says. He waves Gemma over and we all get into my car. "Where are we going?" Gemma asks, getting into the back seat.
"To help our new friend Sophia quit her job," Harry says and I roll my eyes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We run all of my other errands and get some lunch and I begin driving back to the studio. "Where are you going?" Harry asks and I look over at him.
"What do you mean? You know where I'm going."
"Champys is the opposite direction Sophia."
"How do you know that?"
"Let's just say I've been there before."
"Didn't you go on a date there?" Gemma says and Harry glares at her. "Or maybe that was Niall."
"Turn around," Harry says and I pull over into the u turn lane.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I pull up to the diner and sigh. "Can't I just quit over the phone?" I say and Harry shakes his head. "But..."
"No buts Sophia. You're going to go in there, find your boss, and tell them that you're quitting."
"Fine," I say and unbuckle. I open the door and they open theirs too. "What are you doing?"
"Please you think we trust you to go in there on your own and actually quit?"
"Ugh Harry."
"Ugh Sophia," he mocks and I roll my eyes. We walk in and I look around. "Hey Stacie? Is Alex in today?"
"Yeah. He's on the phone with someone."
"Can you let him know I need to speak with him?" I ask and Harry places his hand on my shoulder for reassurance. She walks to the back and Harry looks around. "This place has good milkshakes," he says and I look at him.
"Did you and your date share one? Oh wait no I'm sorry that was Niall right?" I say and his eyes widen.
"Rude."
"I'm sorry. I'm nervous, but I know that's not an excuse."
"Don't be nervous, " Gemma says and I nod. Alex walks out and I turn to leave but Harry pulls me back. "You wanted to talk to me Knight?"
"Yes um.... well-"
"Spit it out?" He says and I look at Harry who nods reassuringly.
"I'm here to tell you I quit."
"You what?"
"I hate this job Alex. And I have a really big role! So yeah I quit." I say and walk outside.
"Proud of you," Harry says and I smile.
"Thanks Styles," I say smiling. "Oh shoot we gotta get back to set."
"Let's go then!" Harry says and we race to the car.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I grab my keys off the counter and head outside. My phone begins ringing and I pull it out of my pocket. "Addison!" I squeal as I answer.
"Someone's happy to talk to me!"
"I'm always excited to talk to you, you're my sister," I say unlocking my car. "Did mom tell you?"
"Tell me what?"
"I got a role, Addie! A big one too!"
"Oh my god that's exciting! I'm so proud of you, Soph!"
"Thanks!"
"What is it?"
"Well I can't reveal any details yet, but I may be able to tell you who my co-star is," I say as I see Harry walking to his trailer. I run up to him and tap him on the shoulder. "Hey?" He says as I mute the conversation.
"Is it at all possible for me to tell my sister who my co star is?"
"Um... not sure."
"Well your sister knows who I am."
"Yeah but remember what I told you about my manager and the media?"
"Yeah."
"Look I can't have people know anything about this movie."
"She won't tell, but I get it I'll tell her right before the press release."
"Wait.. fine," He says opening his trailer door.
"Harry wait... if you don't want me to say anything I won't."
"Hand me your phone," he says and I hesitate for a moment.
"Why?"
"Just do it," he says and I hand it to him. He puts the phone on speaker and I sigh. "Addie. Are you still there?"
"Yeah Sophia I'm here."
"Okay, do you want to speak to my co-star?"
"Uh sure..." she says and I look at Harry. I mouth her name to him and he nods. "Hello Addison?" He says and she doesn't answer.
"Okay Sophia I'm not good at recognizing voices-"
"This is Harry Styles," he says and I hear a crash on the other end.
"Oh my gosh! I'm a huge fan of your music!!" She squeals and he smiles.
"Thank you Addison," he says and I laugh. "Hey I gotta go. Gemma's waiting to go get food," he says and I nod. He walks into his trailer and I walk back over to my car. "Your co star is Harry freaking Styles??"
"Yes Addie. But you can't tell anybody okay? You have to promise."
"I promise. I'm so happy for you!"
"It's pretty great!" I smile. I open my car door and get in. "Hey. I gotta go. I'm babysitting for Mrs Adams tomorrow and I have to get up early." Addison says and I sigh.
"Yeah well just promise you'll text me more okay?"
"Okay miss you."
"Miss you too," I say before hanging up.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Hey you," Gemma says and I look up from my phone.
"Hey. Uh where's Harry?"
"Oh he's running a little late. We didn't get here till twenty minutes ago and he had to find the makeup lady," Gemma explains. I nod and lean back in my chair. "You okay?"
"Yeah just a little homesick but Harry's farther away so I can't really complain."
"Sure you can. It's human. You miss the people you love, the places you love," She says and I nod.
"Yeah you're right," I say.
"Here you look like you could use it," She says, handing me a cup of coffee. "Harry told me your coffee order."
"He remembered my coffee order?" I laugh and she nods.
"Where is Harry?" Avery says frantically running into the room.
"He should be almost done with makeup," Gemma says and Avery sighs.
"We can't be behind schedule. Neal is almost here! Which means Harry needs to get over here now!" Avery says and I look at Gemma.
"I'll go get him," she says running off. I take a long sip of coffee and smile. They both come running up to me a minute later. "Let's hope I didn't sweat off all my makeup running over here," he says and I smile.
I pat his seat and he sits down. "Thanks for the coffee. Glad you remembered my go to order," I say and he takes a deep breath.
"Well uh... I have a good memory I guess."
"Yeah I'm sure that's it," I say and turn around.
"Alright people let's get started!" Neal yells, clapping his hands together and Harry groans.
"Look I uh I wanna solve the case because..."
"What?"
"I know someone that went missing because they poked around in places they didn't belong and two months later they were found dead. So, yeah, I want to find him alive!" I say and Harry moves towards me.
"You were close to this person weren't you?"
"Close is an understatement detective," I say and look at him. His green eyes pierce into my blue eyes and I sigh. "C-cut!" Neal yells and I smile.
"Damn Knight. Tugging on those heart strings," Harry laughs.
"So it was good?"
"You kidding it was great?" He says and I blush. "Are you blushing?"
"A little. Not a lot of people are as encouraging as you," I shrug and he smiles.
"Glad I could be a good support system," he says grabbing his phone. I walk over to Gemma and smile. "You were really good!" She says and I blush a little.
"Thank you! I'm surprised they let you watch us film though?"
"I think Harry called in a favor, not quite sure. But I'm glad either way."
"Me too" I say. "So just between me and you Harry really talks about me?"
"I shouldn't have said anything but... ya know he's really glad y'all get along well."
"Me too," I say looking over at him.