07. best friend

"You could have died, Avery!" Clarke chastised, pacing back and forth in front of the Medbay bed I was currently stationed in. "Why didn't you say anything?"

I shrugged, looking up at her through tired eyes. "I didn't think it was a big deal...and besides, we had bigger things going on."

"Avery," she breathed, moving to sit on the end of the bed. "You know what an infected wound looks like. You knew that wasn't good, so why didn't you tell me?"

I stared back at her, biting down on the inside of my cheek. "I don't know." I finally admitted, and truthfully I wasn't really sure why I hadn't said anything. 

That pain that had been assaulting my torso for the past two days...it had been result of an infected gunshot wound. And while I knew whatever was happening wasn't good, something held me back from doing anything about it. 

Clarke sighed, reaching out to place a pill bottle on the table next to the bed. "I gave you a dose of these," she explained. "You'll need to take another in a few hours and then continue taking them for a couple of days to keep the infection down."

"No." I argued, shaking my head as I firmly crossed my arms across my chest. "No way."

"Avery-"

"We can't be wasting antibiotics, Clarke!" I shot back, looking to her with wide eyes. "We're going to need every pill we can get for the next five years."

"The infection won't improve if you don't take them." Clarke challenged, "You'll become septic, and you'll probably die. Take them." she ordered. 

"Raven will kill us when she finds out we went into the rations." I pointed out, still challenging Clarke's prescription.

She stood up, giving me a quick roll of the eyes. "Yeah, and Bellamy will kill me if I let you die while he's gone."

The minute the words left her mouth, the whole atmosphere of the room changed. "He's still not back." I muttered, confirming my worst fear.

Clarke gave a small nod as she placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. "We'll send another team out if they're not back in a couple of hours. I'm sure everything's fine."

I gave her a tight smile, not fully believing that everything was fine. There was no reason they should have been gone for this long. 

"I'll keep you updated." she promised before making her way toward the door. "But for now, rest. And take another dose in 4 hours." shed ordered, stopping by the door.

"Just to make sure you actually rest," she began, punching something into the key pad. "I'm locking the doors."

"Clarke!" I gasped, sitting up quickly which shot pain through my abdomen. "Come on! Pretty sure you can't just lock me in here!" I yelled as the door closed after her.

She turned, looking at me through the small glass window. An apologetic look covered her face as she gave me a small wave. 

I flopped back against the pillow, letting out an agitated groan. "Great."

---

Hours passed without the doors to Medbay ever opening. I saw Clarke periodically peaking in on me from the outside, but she had yet to let me out. 

I knew it was because Bellamy wasn't back yet, and Clarke assumed that if she let me out I would try to go after him. 

I really couldn't fault her for that one...I mean she was right. 

The antibiotics had helped immensely, and I already felt ten times better than I had when I awoke that morning. 

What I did know, was that I was going to worry myself sick if I didn't get an update soon. 

I pushed myself to my feet, my eyes slowly roaming the room to try and find a way out. There had to be some kind of panic button that would get me out of here right?

Wrong.

After searching the entire room, I came up with nothing and ended up flopping back onto the bed in frustration. 

A sudden beeping of the keypad caused me to jolt up, my eyes racing toward the doors that were currently sliding open.

"Finally!" I exclaimed, watching as Clarke rushed into the room. 

However, the look on her face caused me to freeze, panic immediately searing through my body. "Avery," she breathed, her worried eyes meeting my own. 

I didn't have time to ask her what was going on, as my answer came in the form of a figure being carried in on a gurney. 

It wasn't Bellamy liked I had assumed it was, but the person laying on the gurney was not someone I wanted to see injured. 

I hadn't seen Octavia since we had left Polis, she had stayed back with Kane to ensure everything was running smoothly in the capital. 

But now, as she lay on the gurney, she looked completely different from the last time I had seen her. 

Her skin was pale and coated in a mixture of blood and dirt. Her eyes drooped behind her lids, fighting to stay open.

"What the hell happened?" I demanded, rushing to the side of Niylah who had rushed in with Clarke. 

Clarke lightly grabbed a hold of me, pulling me away from Octavia. "Sit down." she ordered. 

"I'm fine!" I promised, brushing her off as I made for the bed they had just set Octavia down in. 

Pursing her lips, Clarke decided not to argue with me anymore, knowing she was not going to win. "We need to start an IV and start stitching up these wounds." she announced, already reaching for the supplies. 

"Let me help." I pleaded, my eyes darting between my best friend and Clarke. "I feel completely fine, please let me do something."

After a moment of hesitation, Clarke handed me the suture kit. "Here." she whispered, giving me a small nod. 

I gave her a look of gratitude, instantly prepping so I could begin sewing up the multiple wounds that littered Octavia's body. 

Niylah remained close, trying to wipe the grime from her skin so we could tell where the actual blood was coming from.

"Now will you tell me what happened?" I questioned, my hands making quick but gentle work with the first wound. 

Clarke looked up from where she was inserting the IV needle. "Azgeda." she announced, letting out a shaky sigh as she looked back down at her task at hand. 

Anger ripped through my body, and I had to pause what I was doing for a moment. "They did this to her?" I snapped.

Niylah and Clarke shared a brief look. "Yes. And we're pretty sure they're coming for Arkadia next."

-an-

sorry for lack of updates! I'm currently in the middle of exams and I'm still working so I've been pretty busy ugh!!

anyway, hope you enjoyed 

-maddy xoxox