Chapter 61 : Bring It, Loser.

Garaki Kyūdai's P.O.V

    Yagi seemed strange. I didn't know what it was, but there was something about him that was off. Not 'off' as in psychotic or sick—because we're all sick in this business—but 'off' as in secretive.

    It's normal for teenage boys—such as himself—to keep to themselves; however, it felt as if he was harbouring a dark secret. Besides, something about Shigaraki Tomura's death seemed off to me. The way it had been told to me, both the boys ventured off in the middle of the night—alone—without telling anyone where they had been going, or what they had been doing.

    Now, I had heard that the two saw each other as brothers and such, and it was quite normal for brothers to sneak out, but to go after Nine without backup was a dumb move that I couldn't see someone as intellectually-mature as Yagi making. It was a simple-minded move at best—unlike Yagi. Although I hadn't known him as well as I'm acting I do, I do understand the basics of character reading.

    Yagi is the type of person to hustle someone in a game of pool. Yagi is the type of person to make a plan and completely think it through before acting. He's cautious. Not the type to dive headfirst into a match he knew he couldn't win. Not the type to fight a man as powerful as my latest test subject with only Sigaraki Tomura and himself as backup.

    Though, I had sent Sigaraki Tomura to transport my test subject—Nine—to my laboratory, and retrieve him once he had escaped, and he failed—which wasn't completely absurd—it didn't seem convincing. Something else must have gone wrong, and Yagi was the only other person there.

    Even Yagi's story didn't seem convincing. Why would Yagi instruct Shigaraki Tomura to fight Nine alone—knowing Nine's power had been superior to that of their own. It was all odd.

    I had heard that All For One had explained to Yagi that he would be next in line to inherit All For One's cloned quirk—after Shigaraki Tomura, of course. That was my first tip-off.

    All For One also seemed partially skeptical; however, he wasn't in the proper mindset to think rationally. All For One had really loved and cherished Shigaraki Tomura. He saw him as a son—which was obvious, seeing as he gave the boy his name.

    Although he had taken Shigaraki Tomura off of the streets and into his home to spite All Might originally, over the years of nurturing and raising the child, they had developed a bond. Now that the child is gone, All For One was in a deep grieving state. Nevertheless, he still decided to go forth with his plans of passing on a form of his quirk, even through his pained tunnel vision.

He might not have been in a proper state to make rational decisions and see-through deceptions, but I was.

    All For One believed in me and my words when no one else did. He funded my research and became a dear friend to me, and for that, I owe him everything. He couldn't imagine that the person Shigaraki Tomura had grown so fond of would even consider arranging the child's death. No. He wouldn't imagine it. I, on the other hand, have much less faith in humanity. The boy had made All For One soft. His new-found tunnel vision limited him to such thoughts, which is why I was here.

A second opinion is always important.

A second opinion could save a life.

    This was the reason I had suggested All For One not give Yagi the original copy of his quirk, which he had planned to do. We had the back up prepared in case of an emergency, yes, but All For One was planning to give up his original quirk to Yagi and save the copy for himself. I, however, intervened. I didn't trust that child, Yagi. I didn't understand what exactly happened on Nabu Island to cost Shigaraki Tomura his life, but I knew Yagi was lying. I knew something was wrong.