chapter eighteen

the water dripped down my ears and on my eyes as i wiped my face away from the dripping dye being washed off.
"daniel it's getting in my eyes."
"well it's not my fault, franny makes it looks so easy-"
"-well you're not franny are you?"
"shut up jack."
i giggled a little as daniel's hands rubbed the back of my neck and went down my hair. he wasn't wearing any rings which felt really odd, but it made me happy knowing that he took off the ring i gave him so it wouldn't get ruined by the water.
"...jack?"
i turned my head to the right to look at him, but soon realized it was a shitty idea because the water choked up my mouth and nose, making me jerk up quickly and cough vigorously. there was water everywhere as the white tiles in corbyn's bath were covered in droplets of brown as i closed my eyes trying to breathe.
"jack are you alright?" daniel asked, as he turned off the faucet and grabbed a towel, drying my hair and laying the towel around my neck as i stood up. daniel looked over my shoulder looking at the tub, but looked more shocked when he looked at me.
"what?" i asked nervously, anxious to why he was looking at me like that.
daniel didn't respond, but instead stepped closer to me and ruffled his fingers into my hair. i peaked up to see the brown strands instead of the grown out blonde ones. daniel's fingers tangled out of my hair to the hem of my shirt, pulling me in with a smile.
"what daniel?" i asked impatiently.
he kissed my lips softly as i kissed him back, and his finger pushed up against my chin.
"it looked good," he said through kisses as i laughed in between them, looking down at the floor as i sighed.
daniel followed my eyes, pointing at the dye all over the floor, as he motioned me to wet a towel.
"do you think corbyn will kill me?"
"corbyn won't care," he scoffed as we both knelt down and scrubbed the parts of the tub which were covered in dye.
"what the fuck is going on?" a voice called as the door behind us opened.
my head turned to look at a corbyn slurping out of a white claw.
"heyyyy," daniel and i replied together, which only caused corbyn to roll his eyes in my direction.
"what are you guys doing in my bathroom? if you guys did it in here i swear-"
"-corbyn!" i interrupted, pushing the door against him to lock him out as he snickered on the end.
by the time i looked back to daniel, he was smirking as he turned on the faucet to clean the bottom of the tub. i rubbed my cheeks to rid the pink probably burning through them as i turned around and froze looking in the mirror. my hair was all brown again, except it was straight. i touched it in disbelief, since my hair hadn't been this way since i was 16.
"do you like it? i know my dye job sucks."
i looked back at him from the mirror, shaking my head as he handed me the towel to clean.
"it's not bad, i actually like it," i responded, which caused daniel to blush softly.
"but you did miss a whole patch here," i pointed at the back of my head.
"shut up i never said i was a professional," he giggled.
my arms wrapped around his waist as daniel looked
me in the eyes. he didn't say anything but just the way he looked at me was enough.
"did you pack yet?" corbyn knocked which ruined the moment, as i opened the door and peeked at him.
"no i didn't."
"did daniel?"
i opened the door wider to him as he shook his head.
"guys our flight's in an hour!" jonah yelled from behind, carrying out 2 suitcases and throwing in a few hoodies of corbyn.
"did you really just pack for them?"
"yes! what the fuck are you doing standing around we have a flight to catch!"
"ok dad calm down," corbyn laughed, putting his cup down as daniel walked in front of me to push open the door.
"why does it look like you both..." jonah paused his sentence as he looked at my hair.
"oh yeah do you like it?" daniel nudged my shoulder as i looked away nervously, afraid of his opinion.
"jack look at me."
"look at me," jonah said, walking towards me.
i looked up as he looked at me from every different angle.
"god you're such a dad," i scoffed softly as he ruffled my hair.
"ironic coming from you."
"speaking of, how was seeing lav last weekend?" corbyn asked, putting on his jacket.
i sighed, turning around as zach entered the doorway, holding all of our passports.
"am i the only one actually ready to leave?" he asked shocked.
"you wish zach," daniel replied, handing the keys to jonah and walking out the door.
"jack?"
"sorry um...it was nice actually. i mean it's always nice seeing her..." i whispered.
"...but?"
"nothing, i just wish i could scoop her up and take her to jingle ball with us," i laughed, which caused jonah to laugh too.
"i mean, special guest onstage doesn't sound bad," corbyn called, rolling the suitcases out.
"fallin' featuring lavender may," i announced in an intercom voice, which cracked up daniel in the hallway.
"does anyone have my pillow?"
"linen closet on the left."
"thanks babe."
a hand slapped the back of my neck, as a tall eben massaged my shoulders.
"so is going brunette a trend now?"
"you all are fans," jonah said. brushing a curl out of his face.
"i'm literally naturally brunette you're the own who got curls."
"shut up jack."
"fuck you," i managed to say seriously, but laughed since i could never say anything seriously.
jonah picked up a bag as he motioned for me to move out the door as daniel stood at the edge of the hallway.
"what?" i responded as the rest of the boy's rushed out the door.
daniel smiled and looked in the other direction. i tapped his hand, motioning to hold his hand which he later understood.
"i'm sorry for the shitty dye job."
"daniel, honestly i really love it. you could low-key go into cosmetology."
he laughed a little as we walked down the hallway to corbyn's car.
"do you actually love it?" he paused at the trunk.
i kissed his cheek as i put my suitcase in the trunk, closing it.
"i'd never lie to you daniel."
"promise?" he asked.
i smiled as i nudged his shoulder like he did earlier.
promise.