C17

Shannon didn't get the chance to pester her cousin for answers the following week .

School went on as scheduled and Spring break was around the corner .

They got a lot more homework than before and Bella seemed to avoid Shannon and David mostly finding ways to not have to spend time alone with them .

David told Shannon that it was probably for the best because he didn't want to know more about anything .

Some days Shannon found herself alone at home because like clockwork David had to visit Leah to get help with his reading and writing assignments . Because Shannon couldn't help him since she had her own mountains of homework to do he had to get someone else to help him and Leah seemed happy enough .

Shannon was sure David had a crush on her like he had a crush on Alice ,but she didn't tease him . Leah helping him, helped her . A lot . If she teased him he won't want to go back to the Clearwaters and then Shannon would have to  leave her homework and help him .

She would do it because he's her only priority in the world . The only thing she loved . Well,besides that jerk Jacob Black ,of course ,but that's irrelevant . She would do anything for her brother . No matter what . But Leah helping him made him more confident than she herself could ever help him to become .

So she  didn't tease him and stayed home doing what she always do . Cook ,clean and whatever and to hell with  her naughty thoughts on teasing her brother .

Billy Black called again a few times and begged her to come over . Twice, she did , and was happy when Jacob Black wasn't there to sour her day .

Billy was great company . Told her the greatest stories and told her not to tell her Uncle because Charlie Swan didn't like those kinds of stories.

She promised him that she won't. She could keep secrets . She just didn't like those type of things . Secrets ,that is . Everyone had them .  It wasn't something entirely new to her .

One Saturday morning
  just as soon as Charlie left  Shannon and David found themselves piled into Bella's truck again . This time on their way to La Push  .

Bella didn't say where they were going ,but when Shannon saw the red painted house that belonged to the Blacks she wanted to run away and ...hide. Will she even be able to hide?.

Why did Bella even make her and David come too?. She didn't want to be there . She didn't want to see Jacob Black and feel her heart flutter again at the sight of him .

Why?. Why?.Why?.

Bella parked where she'd parked the last time they were there together  and got out to go pound on the front  door while Shannon and David clambered out slowly and went to  stand around behind her , awkwardly, wondering what the hell they were doing there when Bella clearly didn't need them .

Billy Black answered the door and told Bella that Jacob wasn't there ,but Bella didn't listen because Billy's facial expression gave away his lie and she just pushed past him and entered the house .

Shannon tried to stop her by calling out her name because later this would be remembered as something foolish and embarassing and Shannon hated those kind of memories .

" I think maybe we should ...um go ", David said inching backwards and Shannon remembered that he didn't like those kinds of memories either .

" I'm sorry ,Billy ", Shannon apologized ," I think her brain fried a little with stuff that happened last Satur_"

She was cut off by loud  howl like whoop and felt her body tense up at the sound of it .

Before she and David could even turn to see who it was that howled Bella came rushing out of the house and walked briskly to a group of four guys .