Chapter Twenty Nine.

"Take it off!"

"Her. Take her off, it's not an object."

"Well, she's going to ruin my car."

"She is not!" Caleb sighed and patted the dog's head.

Eddie shook his head but started the car anyways. Caleb smiled down at the puppy.

"Everytime he tries to act all rough and badass it just doesn't work." He told the dog, and Eddie smiled. "He's a big softie."

"Stop." Eddie said, and Caleb smiled at him.

"I'm the rough one in the relationship." He said, and the dog titled her head. "Don't give me that face, puppy. I am the rough one."

The dog barked.

"Oh my God, Eddie, she's talking to me." Caleb whined. "She's so cute."

"So rough." Eddie ironically with a smirk.

"Who is rough with puppies? Look at her! Look at you, you little beautiful princess. Of course I'm soft for you."

"I want you to be soft for me." Eddie pouted.

Caleb rolled his eyes.

"Are you kidding me? You're the one I'm softest for. I cried in front of you, more than once. What the fuck, Eddison. I call you Boo. It's gross how soft I am for you."

And at that, Eddie smiled and his cheeks flushed the softest pink.

"Are you seeing that, puppy?" Caleb asked. "He's blushing."

The dog barked and Caleb closed his eyes. Between Eddie blushing and the dog talking to him, he couldn't handle so much cuteness.

"Shut up." Eddie said and patted the dog's head. "You have to name her."

Caleb looked at her. She was clean now, and not hurt anymore. They had taken her straight to the veterinary to get her better and now they were heading to Caleb's home.

"I can't believe I have a pet." Caleb said. "I always wanted one but never thought I could have one."

"Earlier you said you couldn't take care of yourself." Eddie said. "That's not true, you know? You've been alone for four years and survived. You went through so much more than anyone else I know. You can take care of yourself. You take care of yourself everyday."

"I know." Caleb smiled softly. "But I'm a mess at doing it."

"You're not a mess at taking care of other people. In the time I've known you, you risked your own safety to take care of others more than once. You're going to make a great job taking care of that dog."

"I was thinking on naming her Rose," Caleb whispered. "But that name's just... too powerful for me. Still. It's hard to say it, you know?"

Eddie stopped the car.

"You don't have to name her that, then." He said softly. "Name her whatever you like and makes you feel comfortable."

Caleb nodded and smiled a small smile.

"I know."

Eddie kissed his cheek and started the car again. Caleb looked down at the dog and started thinking of names.

"Emma?" He said. She did't move. "Cora? Nellie? Betty? Taylor?"

But she didn't look at him.

"You don't like those?"

She looked at him and barked.

He guessed that was a no.

________________________