Chapter 25: As we Are Now

Narrator P.O.V

Hope and Jed were walking into the house after a long morning game of basketball. The two were playing around tossing the ball back and forth laughing. It was the first time in a long time that Hope felt refresh happy that things were some what getting better. For a moment she could almost see a light at the end of the dark tunnel. Hope grabbed two Gatorades from the fridge and tossed one to Jed who caught it gracefully. The two began to talk about random tv shows when they began to hear a phone ring a couple of times. Both checked their phone but none of them had a message. The phone pinged once more and Hope noticed Josies phone on the kitchen counter.

"Oh it's just josies phone." Hope shrugged taking a sip of her red drink. "It's probably from Penelope" Hope rolled her eyes.

"Talk all night Park" Jed walked over to Josies phone. "You should read the messages" Jed grabbed the phone walking back towards Hope. He sat on the counter.

"No Jed. I'm not going to snoop through her phone it wouldn't be right" Hope scolded her friend for even suggesting something like that

"Hello and stealing your fiancé isnt?" Jed chuckle at hopes ridiculousness.

"All they did was talk" Hope tried once more to defend Josie.

"OOHH, there's a new saint in town... Saint Hope of the Deep, Deep denial." Jed got down from the counter waving the phone in hopes face.

"Ok you say denial I say trust" Hope crossed her arm turning away from the boy. Jed looks at the phone and opens it up. He was surprised to see there wasn't a lock on the phone. Maybe he should trust Josie. He thought for a bit before opening the message app.

"Oh would you look at that my finger slipped and the message open" Jed laughed.

"No stop. I don't want anything to change my relationship with Josie." Hope tried to cover her eyes. Jed began to read the conversation and his eye began to widen. His jaw opened slightly.

"Well this thing is smoking" Jed comments. Hope launched at Jed trying to take the phone away. But Jed was quick and held the phone up in the air. "Calm yourself Jesus woman.... I'm trying to protect you, you short little girl" Jed held the phone out of hopes reach despite her efforts to jump and grab it. Hope turned back before punching Jed in the stomach making him double over. Hope took the phone from the boys hand. She began to read it. Jed placed his arm around Hope and rubbed her shoulder.

Hope shook her friends arm off and began to make her way up stairs. Once she was in her bedroom she saw Josie walking out of the bathroom drying her hair with a towel. Josie looked at Hope a little confused but didn't say anything. "Josie, you uh... got an interesting message from Penelope" Hope threw Josie her phone. Josie grabbed the phone and read the message. She turned back towards Hope.

"Josie I never once had to wonder if you were telling me the truth. You kissed her, and you lied to me about it. I don't know if I trust you now" Hope voice was soft but the hurt in her voice caused it to shake a bit. Hope walked out of the room without saying anything else. Josie ran her fingers through her hair letting out a heavy sigh. Just when things were started to make some form of sense it went down hill once more. Josie threw her phone onto the bed harshly as it bounced off hitting the floor.

Later that day Josie was with Lizzie in the library once more. Lizzie was reading Josie text that Penelope had sent to her. She couldn't believe what she was reading. She bit the side of her finger as she focused on the phone. "Oh, how could you let Hope read this it's so... intimate?" Lizzie shook her head in disappointment. She placed the phone down drumming her fingers onto the table. Josie picked up the phone to take another look at the message.