Chapter 26: I Can't Hate You

Hope was in her office going over a few things before her meetings. She tried to concentrate, but she caught herself re-reading the first sentence 3 times; as she thought about Josie and the fight they had a few nights ago. Hope couldn't return to her house, not without her ring, and not without feeling pain.

"Why are you so angry with Jo," Lizzie asked walking into the office trying to get the older girl to talk to her. The blond hated how much both of them were suffering. She didn't want that for her sister or her future sister in-law. Lizzie would never admit it, but she always looked up to Hope and Josies relationship, hoping one day she would find someone that would worship the ground she walked on just like the two did for each other. The way they would both look at one another like they were the only ones in the room. "Josie wants to fix things and you know she does."

"I'm not certain I can explain it to you" Hope leaned back on her chair.

"But you love her, but you're angry" Lizzie sat down on one of the chairs that were in front of the desk. She was determined to get answers.

"Sometimes... sometimes love isn't enough Lizzie" Hope sighed.

"Love isn't enough... enough what?... you once said you would do anything to make Josie happy. Why isn't that true anymore?"

"Lizzie, this isn't the sort of discussion for work hours, please drop it" Hope tried to get Lizzie off her back. She didn't want to talk about it. She didn't want to be reminded of the situation that she had no damn idea how to fix.

"You're hurting Hope, I want to help. You hold Josie so tightly. You let it keep hurting because you think hurting is who you are. Why would you do that?" Lizzie softly spoke reaching her hand over to grab Hopes. The older girl raised a brow.

"Sometimes the ones you love are also the ones who disappoint you the most. You think that if they loved you they should understand; they shouldn't want to hurt you so you feel betrayed. You say things you can never take back. Do things you regret."

"Josie didn't mean to lie to you, she wishes she could of done something to prevent Penelope from kissing her."

"Probably. I have to go get ready for the meeting. Please bring me the reports" Hope stood up.

"You better sit next to your wife during the meeting" Lizzie shouted watching her boss leave the room.

_________________

Lizzie walked into the conference room papers and folders in hand. She noticed Hope sitting at the head of the table like always but this time Josie wasn't seated by her side. Instead Josie was sitting a seat away leaving an open chair between the two. Lizzie sighed as she made her way to sit in the only available seat in the middle of the two.

Josie had told Lizzie about the break the two were having. She knew her sister was devastated. Lizzie tried to talk to Hope earlier but now she didn't want to pry into their relationship. Yet Lizzie knew she had to do something or else things would never get fixed.  As soon as she walked over towards the two she felt her back being hit by the sun that was streaming through the windows and casted a. Ethereal glow into the otherwise gloomy room. It was hot and bright. In other words. It was annoying.

"Hope why aren't you and Josie sitting together" Lizzie placed her papers and folder down onto the table.

"Well the wife and I aren't together anymore" Hope didn't look up from her tablet. She just answered casually trying to avoid any further interaction.

"Great this break up is now having severe ramifications on me" Lizzie rolled her eyes sitting down. Lizzie looked at her sister who was also on her tablet trying to avoid any conflict. However Lizzie could still see the small glances Josie would give Hope. Lizzie leaned into Hope trying to get more answers.