Chapter 7

Saturday December 19, 2020
Dylan's POV

Today was the winter formal. No one had asked me but I didn't mind because I wasn't in the mood to deal with boys. Since it was Saturday we didn't have school. The girls and I begged Dani to drive us to the mall. We didn't have any money to get our nails done or our hair but we just wanted to look around since we had our dresses already.

After a while Dani agreed. We walked around the mall just looking things and having fun. Then my phone rang. Anna groaned.

"Don't answer that," Anna said trying to grab my phone. I quickly pulled my arm away. A smile crept its way onto my face as I saw Zach name on the screen.

"We are supposed to be having a girls day. I hate to say this as the captain of your ship but I agree with Anna. You talk to him too much," Madi chimed in. My face fell a little. Had I been talking with Zach so much I forgot to spend time with my friends.

"They're right you now," Dani said bringing my out of my head. She grabbed my phone away from me. "You have to play a little hard to get."

"Hard to get? I'm not trying to date him!" I told her.

"Yeah ok." Then we went back to having fun.

It was really nice. I didn't think about Zach at all the whole time. Well I thought about him every once and a while but not nearly as much I would've with my phone.

If I had my phone the day probably would've been cut short. Instead we spent hours at the mall not buying anything. Just having fun. When the sun started to set we headed home to get dressed.

"Listen I know you like Zach," Dani said to me as she straightened my curls. I always wear my hair curly so I thought today I would try something different.

"I do not," I said hissing a little as the heat burned my scalp.

"Sorry," She said before moving on to the next part. "It's ok if you do. We all fall for the wrong person sometimes."

"The wrong person?"

"I know Madi thinks you guys could last. So I'm going to honest and realistic. You are only 15. He's 19. There's a very low chance things work out for you just based on your ages. But you have to include the fact that he is white and your black. I know our family would never agree to letting this happening and there's a chance his family won't either. Also he's in a boyband." I cut her off.

"Manband," I said chuckling a little. I was trying to lightening the mood a little as her words were really hitting me hard.

"Whatever. He's in a band that tours and is constantly surrounded by girls. Teenage boys don't have the bat track record for being faithful as you know."

"Why are you trying to ruin this for me?" I asked yanking away from her to look her in the face.

"I'm not trying to ruin anything I'm trying to warn you!"

"Well I don't need your warnings. You don't know anything about Zach!"

"I don't need to know anything about him!" I turned back around covering my face as I felt myself getting upset.

I didn't usually let people's word get to me but she was my sister. Her opinion of me had always mattered to me. Now to find out her opinion on Zach and I broke my heart. I always thought that it didn't matter who was fighting against me at least I had my sister in my corner but now she wasn't.

"Dylan," Dani said wrapping her arms around me. "I'm sorry. I'm not trying to be mean." I just cried in her arms.

When I calmed down I pulled away from her and wiped my face. I felt super embarrassed and dramatic for crying over this.

"You're right," I told her causing a look of surprise to come across face. "Zach and I probably won't work out with all the odds against us, but I'm still going to try." She nodded and we went silent.

"I thought you didn't like him?" Dani laughed. My face heated up.

"I don't," I said before turning around for her to finish my hair.

————————————————————————

When we arrived at the dance there were a lot of students already there, dancing. Madi and her date, Charlie immediately went to the dance floor. Anna's date, Hayden, went to get her a drink and snack. I stayed at a table in the corner with Anna.

"Are you ok?" Anna asked me. After my conversation with Dani I knew this dance wouldn't be as fun as I had hoped.

"Yea. I just," I trailed off.

"Hi babe." Hayden came back handing Anna her things. I was thankful he interrupted.

"Hi," Anna said blushing. I rolled my eyes. Anna always was one to fall for guys quickly. Not that I could blame her considering she always attracted hot guys.

Eventually Anna and Hayden went to dance, leaving me by myself. Julian took this opportunity to talk to me.

"Want to dance?" Julian asked. I rolled my eyes. Then my conversation with my sister popped in my head.

"Ok," I said surprising him. I took his hand as he led me to the dance floor.

"Listen Dylan there's something I need to tell you," I cut him off.

"Can I ask you something first?" He nodded. "Why did you cheat on me." His face fell.

"Dylan," Julian sighed.

"I know you probably don't want to talk about this here. I don't want to talk about this either but I have to know. If I don't know I'm going to wonder why you cheated on me and if it was something I did. I'm never going to be able to have another relationship without thinking back to this one and wondering if I'm doing the same thing I did with you that made you cheat," I rambled.

"It wasn't you." He didn't say anything else. I nodded for him to keep going. "I..I'm in love with... someone." I was shocked.

"What?"

"There was someone else at first we were just hanging out as friends but then I started to fall for her," Julian explained to me as we continued to dance.

"So why do you keep bothering me if you're in love with someone else?" I asked confused.

"I might not have loved you like I thought I did but I still love. As a friend. You were one of my best friends actually." I nodded and didn't answer him.

We danced all the way through the song until a new one came on and I pulled away.

"Well I forgive Julian." He looked shocked. "There is no reason for me to continue to hate you when I have moved on."

"So friends?" He asked holding his arms out.

"Not yet," I said making his face fall. "But we can work towards that." Then instead of hugging him I put out a fist. He laughed but bumped his fist with mine then I walked away.

As I neared my table I saw Anna and Madi sitting there talking. When I got to them the smiled at me.

"What was that?" Madi asked.

"Me moving on."