Chapter 41

As a child, I always loved watching the sunset.

The chilled breeze brushed against my skin, contrasting with the warm air in the best way possible, like Spring in the dead of winter. I sat silently on the wooden deck, my toes curling around the sand, arms wrapped around my knees, gazing out at the shoreline where gentle teal waves rolled onto the beach.

It was rare for me to have the chance to watch a sunrise, especially as someone with a strong dislike for mornings, but today, I found a beautiful calmness in it. This was my first time watching a sunrise on the beach, and what a sight it truly was, I regretted not doing it sooner. Every now and then I would hear a seagull squawk or see a fish jump from the sea, it made me feel like I had stepped into a landscape painting, one so gorgeous I wished to never leave.

Although the sun was rising from the other side, the sky before me was still painted in a palette of breathtaking colors. Pale blue and pink were blended seamlessly over the brightening sky, meeting the ocean where the colors were the darkest. Technically, I wasn't watching the sunrise, but the sky transitioning from night to dawn.

I know what it seems like here, but let me say it, trying to run at this point would have been undeniably stupid of me to do. So don't you dare say it. The property was fenced off, with many security cameras along the outside walls, and like hell I'd swim out into the ocean. Patience is a virtue.

I had slept for a short while but found it impossible to lay down any longer after I woke up twice, deciding to sit outside instead. It had been too long since I was able to just sit and enjoy the outdoors, longer than the time I spent with Chandler. It's the little things like this that we forget to enjoy and take for granted.

A small sigh left my lips as I turned and glanced over my shoulder, into the bedroom. Chandler lay on the bed, asleep, seemingly in a deep sleep since he didn't wake up when I opened the door to come out to the deck.

(Kayle here, I had caffeine this afternoon, so now I'm up writing at 2 am.)

Perhaps his lack of sleep had caught up with him and now he simply couldn't wake up until he felt rested once again. I wasn't complaining, the time alone was nice, and appreciated.

After we landed, Lucas drove us to his house, which was a bit of a far drive, unfortunately. However, fortunately, I fell asleep fifteen minutes into it, meaning I didn't have to hear the lame excuse of a man or acknowledge him at all. There was no doubt in me that we would find a way to get under the other's skin while we're here. He's so insufferable that it's quite literally impossible.

How Nakoa manages him, I don't know.

After many long moments, I picked myself up and dusted the sand from my feet, rinsing them at the faucet near the door. It was quiet and convenient, especially since once sand gets indoors, it never leaves.

When I stepped back into the room, gently shutting the door behind me, I looked over Chandler once more, finding his relaxed expression so unfamiliar. It was hard to believe he's the man who had sadistically hurt me so many times, mentally and physically.

The bedroom was becoming quickly illuminated by the morning light, allowing a better overlook of it since it was dark when we came in. I vaguely remember Lucas mentioning that Nakoa wouldn't wake up until eight or nine before he took us to this room, and the anticipation of seeing her again contributed to my inability to sleep any longer.

Chandler lay beneath light blue colors, a contrast from the white or gray sheets I was so used to seeing every morning in his apartment, complimented by matching pillows. The walls were painted an off-white color, but were barren of any decoration. In fact, there wasn't much in the room when I really looked at it. It was decently sized, with the floor-to-ceiling windows and glass door in front of the bed, and another window on the left that overlooked the beach. I stood on a white rug that was soft, cushioning my bare feet from the beige hardwood flooring. Besides the bed, there was a closet, where our suitcases were, and a dresser that held two adorable little plants atop it. To my left, there were two doors, one that led into the hallway, and one that went into the bathroom, where I was walking to.