8

-Rose-Present-

"All the riches baby, won't bring what your love can bring."
-Rich Girl By Gwen Stefani

Turning around to see the back of my dress, I smile in satisfaction with myself. My pale pink dress is tight and glitters in the lights. Although it is long sleeve, I have a revealing front which I'm sure my father won't be happy about. My earrings dangle, my necklace is a long chain and my bracelets sparkle.

I always find it amusing that my entire outfit could pay for a car. It makes me feel guilty but I'm not the one that is rich, it is my family. I'm being forced to go to yet another family brunch at Brooke's house.

Kate Hughes, Brooke's mother, always loves having a brunch every month with all of our five families. Four, excluding Cooper's dead one. I dread the brunches because it is our parents talking business or comparing us to each other. We always end up sneaking off and get drunk.

"You should probably leave or you will be late and your father will grow angry with you." Marissa comments from beside me, making me roll my eyes. She clips the final clip in my head and I gratefully smile at the wavy updo that she has done.

"I still think you should become a hairdresser instead of staying around here. Or become a cook." I suggest hopefully but she shakes her head. Marissa deserves better than being stuck here along with the rest of us rich folk.

"You can't get rid of me that easily. Who is supposed to make sure you don't end up being just another rich housewife?" Marissa remarks and I scoff, knowing I'm heading down that avenue anyway. She steps back and I stand up, grabbing my bag off the chair and slip on some heels.

"Thank you, Marissa. I have to go spend time with some of the most controlling and selfish parents in all of town now. I'll see you later." I say casually and she doesn't try to hide her sympathetic expression. I walk out of my room and meet Cooper in the hallway where he looks down at my father. "Are you ready?"

"To spend my afternoon with a bunch of egotistical adults and our friends?" Cooper asks, giving me a lopsided smile and I sigh heavily. I look down and screw up my face at the sight of my father waiting at the bottom. It turns out my new step mommy is on holiday still and will be coming back next week. "Do you think I can use the fact that my parents are dead to get out of this?"

"Honestly, no. My father will tell you to suck it up for the afternoon and repress your feelings." I say casually and he nods in agreement. Sighing, we finally move from our place on the balcony and walk down the stairs of one of the staircases. My father turns around, noticing we are here and frowns.

"Took you long enough." My father mumbles and is about to leave when he does a double take of my dress. "Rose, that dress is way too short."

"It's either this or I go naked. I know which one I'd prefer but sadly, there are rules in this society which are against it." I insist mockingly and give him a charming smile before walking to his car. I hear him sigh and I know I've won this battle.

*******************************************

Brooke's house has always reminded me of a doll house. Everything is so clean and in the perfect places. Like the whole house was fitted perfectly for the Hughes family. Robert and Kate Hughes are the best parents out of all of them and I envy Brooke.

Robert is friendly, funny and always makes those pathetic dad jokes which aren't funny to anyone but him. Kate may be strict and uptight but she can also be kind and loving. I remember when I used to come over and have her homemade cookies. They're the most humble people ever. Brooke always jokes about how she was adopted because she is much bitchier than either of them.