11

-Will-5 years ago-

"I want you to touch me there
Make me feel like I am breathing."
-A Little Death by The Neighbourhood

"Where are you guys taking us?" Brooke whines, swatting away a mosquito and Ben and I smirk. It is the middle of summer and Ben, Cooper and I are finally bringing the girls up to the haunted house. We've hung out here a few times after we found it two years ago.

The older kids speak about how it is haunted, earning it the name, but I don't believe in that shit. It is just an abandoned old house on the hill that no one goes into because of all the rumours. So the boys and I have made it our den.

"It's just up this hill." Ben responds. Brooke frowns and swears as she gets stung by a stingy nettle. Rose and Brooke are so stupid sometimes. Who wears shorts and flip flops when they knew we were going hiking through brambles?

"Fuck, that hurt." Rose swears and stops for a second to detangle herself from the brambles. Noticing how much she is struggling, I sigh heavily in frustration and help her push away the brambles. She frowns harder. "I don't need your help, Cole. I can handle a few brambles by myself thanks."

"Okay okay." I say, holding up my hands in surrender and it only makes me laugh harder when she gets stabbed again by a thorn. Cooper runs ahead, too excited to be visiting the house again that he doesn't wait up for us.

Once we walk over the hill, Brooke and Rose are panting from exhaustion but stop breathing when they look up in shock. The house looks like it is about to collapse and we are actually breaking and entering. The police have put a fence around the entire property but that has never stopped us before. It is a health and safety hazard, which only makes it more fun.

Us boys climb over the fence easily but it takes a while for the girls to. Brooke swears and complains before falling off the fence and falls flat on her face. All of us start pissing ourselves laughing and Brooke screams at us all. Rose tries to hide her laugh as she climbs over herself but I help her some of the way down, ignoring her protests.

"This better be worth it." Brooke mumbles and hooks her arm with Rose's as we walk inside the broken house. "Why is this place supposedly haunted anyway?"

"It's a sad story actually." Ben begins to say and I raise my eyebrows. "A young couple were so in love that they went against their parents wishes and got married. They built this house and lived happily until they had a child. One night, the women's father broke in and killed both the husband and the baby. The women was so distraught that she killed her entire family and killed herself in the house. She is supposedly still walking around, trying to search for her dead child and husband."

All of us fall silent, processing the sad story. We stand in the front room and look around as if we might actually find this women. There's barely any furniture and only broken pieces of glass and graffiti and is clearly uninhabited.

"That was a load of bullshit, wasn't it?" Rose asks bluntly and Ben smirks. Brooke rolls her eyes, nudges Ben playfully and begins exploring the house with Rose.

It must have been an incredible house decades ago because the rooms are spacious and there is a broken chandelier in the centre of the double staircase. If this place wasn't rumoured to be haunted, I'm sure some renovators would come in here and make this place amazing again.

"So what is it about this place that is so great?" Rose asks curiously as we nestle in our usual place in the front room. We can't go upstairs because the stairs will collapse under our weight.

Usually when us boys come here, we lounge around and talk about the different girls we'd have sex with. We are only thirteen so Ben is the only one who has lost his virginity and that was to a girl three years older.