12

-Rose - Present-

"These are my friends
I love them."
-These are my friends by lovelytheband

My English teacher drones on about Shakespeare and all his underlying meanings of each line. Most of them are bullshit. Why can't a red coat just be a fucking red coat? Brooke paints her nails beside me, clearly not listening to the teacher.

Everyone else looks as if they are droning off, especially considering Mr Morris is a hundred years old and slurs his words like he is drunk. I mostly stare out the window, looking at the people that walk by. I had caught Ben sneaking out in the most indiscreet way a few minutes ago too.

"Does he really think we are interested in this?" Brooke whispers softly and I shrug. Mr Morris is so passionate about this that I almost feel sorry for him. Almost.

"I can't tell whether he's oblivious of the fact that his students are falling asleep or whether he just doesn't care." I say honestly and pull out my diary to write some dates down for the parties I've been invited to.

"He gets paid either way so I'm sure he just doesn't care." She states and lifts her hand up to admire her drying nail varnish.

"He seriously should consider retiring." I say and glance over at her perfectly vanished nails with a raised eyebrow. "You do know that if a teacher catches you with that they will make you wipe it off."

"School's nearly finished and I'm bored. I never understand the rule against nail varnish anyway." Brooke remarks and frowns at her nails.

"Don't you have a surf match next weekend?" I ask curiously, looking at the page I had written it in my diary. Brooke nods but doesn't look as if she is paying attention anymore.

"Hey girls, have you written any notes?" Cooper whispers from behind us and I nod but Brooke shakes her head. He frowns before looking down at his empty page. I pass him mine and his eyes widen at the page full of notes. I may not be interested but he is telling us all the meanings, all I have to do is write them down.

"What have you been doing for the past forty minutes?" I ask softly and he smirks mischievously before gesturing to one of our classmates at the back of class.

"I've been eyeing up Alex and sexting him under the table." Cooper says casually and Brooke and I laugh. We all look at Alex, who winks at Cooper before we look back down at Cooper's page. "How am I supposed to get a good job if we can't stay focused in class and get anything done? At least you two are millionaires but my money will run out at some point."

"Your parents left you millions of dollars. I think you will manage even if you are unemployed." Brooke says mockingly and I nod in agreement.

"Plus, even if you did run out I'm sure my father would be happy to give you some. I think he likes you more than he likes me and I'm his biological child." I state honestly but Cooper frowns. I still haven't met my new step mum because she is having an extended trip but I don't care.

"No he doesn't. He just doesn't know how to handle you because you're so independent and fiery." Cooper says softly and I look away from his serious expression. My father will always be something I struggle with. I don't know who I prefer, the mother that left me or the father that doesn't bother with me. They are both as bad as each other.

The bell rings so Mr Morris dismisses us all and I'm surprised by how quickly everyone darts out of the room. I'm so thankful that the day has ended and I can leave these spoilt kids behind me. Brooke and Cooper follow me to my locker until I stop in my tracks.